New iPhoneApps bundle website - The Audacity of Grey-Market Repackaging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cleverboy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Okay, I just saw this website on the newswire.

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/iphone/applications/prweb1044504.htm

Yeah, I'm bringing attention to it, but I'm also really disturbed, so I think its worth talking about. Are these guys licensing with the individual developers to RESELL the work... or are they just trying to CON people into paying for free software?

Usually a purchase like this obscures the fact that the seller is simply selling "information", or having the buyer pay for their "redistributing" costs. The website looks very well designed, but... I mean... WOW. How bold is that?

"Top 10 iPhone Apps"
    • Customize
    • SNES
    • Screenshot
    • VideoRecorder
    • Instant Messenger
    • MMS
    • RingTones
    • YouTube Downloader
    • Books
    • VNC

Yikes. :mad:

~ CB

2. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Yeah, I saw this and thought the same thing. I get Google alerts for iPhone Apps, and I started seeing a lot of sites that lack a lot of content mentioning the release, which is generally a clue about something fishy, like link buying or link swapping. The text generally did a lot of hyping and not a lot of explaining. I'm staying away for now.

3. jpqsmex macrumors newbie

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

All of these apps are free except for VideoRecorder and VNC. Those 2 apps can be purchased as a package (they are from the same developer) for $24.99 which I believe is the same price as this bundle. You could buy those 2 and download the others on your own and have the exact same thing. But you'd have to go to the hassle of finding all those ROMs for the snes (its not fun, trust me)

so really, this seems to be a good deal, if your intrested in VideoRecorder and VNC. The packager doesn't seem to be making a cent from this. However, if those 2 apps aren't something your intrested in, you can get everything else on this list for free

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you want to know something that is BS, then check this site. www.iphonegeek.com

It's all over modmyifone's site.

6. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Thats the problem, how do we know? What if they're not passing anything along to the original developers? And selling stuff thats free, even if you are getting the value of the two other apps, seems underhanded to me.

7. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

That's actually my point... moreover, I'll bet that the VERSION of the VideoRecorder that you get, has NO serial number, so essentially you could have downloaded EVERYTHING for free. The website will likely contest that you can "upgrade" the program for more features. This "bundle" preys on ignorance, plain and simple.

I listed the apps specifically to demonstrate that.

~ CB

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if they do give you the full versions, then they would have to pay for them as well

something tells me if they only included the trials we'd have heard complaints by now

but if that is true, then they truly are just con men

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Even if they ARE full versions, they could be "full versions" that a simply being pirated from the original author. There is NO reference to other authors, as all applications are called "our"... as if the website owners authored every one of them. Look at their text under the IM app...
    I tried talking to them, but our conversation was cut short.
    I was attempting to ask around the "periphery" of what I wanted to know, but Mark apparently didn't want to play that game. There was NO easy answer for the "eBook" question I take it.

~ CB

10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

"Does my iphone have to be unlocked to install your applications?
    Your iphone does not have to be unlocked to install our applications."

Tricky website... they say it doesnt need to be UNLOCKED... it will most def have to be jailbroken.

This is a scam.

11. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

All of the apps stated above are free if you Jailbreak. THis whole thing is a scam. I hate when people try to sell stuff that is free and not theres. THey make it look professional but in reality you can get all of these for free if you jailbreak!! In fact ive used these when i jailbroke such as the video recording app. They say its theres but someone else made the application. The youtube downloader is MXTube

12. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

You are both right and wrong. Yes it is a scam. No you probably don't have to unlock your iPhone because once you give them your money, they won't even give you anything in return at all! Can't believe how gullible some people are here (not you bbplayer5).

I dare someone to go ahead and try this out... let us all know how it works.