New iPhones 3GS cannot Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Duckieiphone, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Duckieiphone macrumors newbie

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The new 3GS can be jailbroken, but after jailbreaking it cannot boot without the help of a computer. This is because the new version of the boot loader can not yet be permanently hacked to disable the signature check on the OS. So you need to plug the phone in and rerun blackra1n each time your phone reboots just to get past the spinning Apple logo. This is called a tethered jailbreak and is a bit of a pain. Most of the time, though, you can go days without rebooting your phone. Just be sure to be near a computer when you do any updates in Cydia, etc.

3. SeaWind12 macrumors newbie

Can it be unlocked in terms of another sim card usage?

4. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

Sure can :) Just did my 3gs today and it was easy, hopefully i wont need to reboot when i'm on the go.

5. Sledneck36 macrumors member

HUH??? I have a 3GS jailbroken with Blackra1n and have turned my phone off on many occasions and not once did I have to "tether boot"

My phone is Ver 3.1.2
    Firmware 05.11.07

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Obviously you do not have the latest version of iBoot (version 359.3.2). This does not apply to all 3GSs, only to the newest ones. Phones manufactured before week 37 (and some manufactured in weeks 37-40) will not have this issue. Phones manufactured after week 41 all do.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Your phone must have the old bootrom. Apple started shipping iphones with a revised bootrom in mid-October. Instructons on how to check your bootrom version: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=814973

8. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Yeah ......I found this out the hard way....spent all weekend trying to get mine done....it locked up everytime it re booted and I couldn't do anything....apple just sent me a new 3gs because my 3g had alot of problems...I'm kinda pissed about it......should I take this back for a refurb or will this be solved soon?????

9. fjk macrumors regular

I just picked up my 3GS replacement a few days ago and it is 5k945, or week 45. It boots fine after being jailbroken by blackra1n.

It has bootrom 359.3. I think I am lucky that I got a replacement that has a "mixture of internals" according to Apple. Wanted a new replacement, but whew.

10. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

The "K" (2nd character) means it is a re-manufactured phone. The "945" is the week it was remanufactured. But the bootrom will be the old one as they do not generally change that when they are re-manufactured unless the chip with bootrom stored on it is defective.

11. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I really wanted to jailbreak my phone....will this problem get fixed ?

12. fjk macrumors regular

Actually my understanding is that 5K means re-manufactured, but the K doesnt necessarily, i.e. 7k, 8k can still be new.

13. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

New iPhones all have a number as the 2nd digit.

If it's a letter, it's re-manufactured.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Nobody knows. There is no immediately forseeable solution, but it is not possible to know what new exploit some brilliant hacker might discover. For now, though, you should proceed one the assumption that it won't be.