Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Since the new Iphone 6S has A9 chip and 2GB of RAM compared to Ipad Air's A8X and 2GB of RAM!

I am wondering is are the new Iphones(6S) are more powerful then the Ipad Air 2?

If yes then it is stupid and ridiculous for phones to be more powerful then tablets!
To be honest it should the other way round!!!

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
The iPad Air 3 with the A9X chip is not out yet. Possibly in November but who knows.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Geekbench 3

iPhone 6s
Single Core: 2529
Multi Core: 4375

iPad Air 2
Single Core: 1812
Multi Core: 4477

Thanks!! :)

A big shame that the new Iphones(6S) is more powerful then the Ipad Air 2 hmmmm. :/

But not by much tho!

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
One reviewer said that unlocking his phone with his thumb was instantaneous. He said he touched the button and it was on. I'm not getting one this year, but it's a beast from all reports.
My 6 is one hell of a phone. I can't justify, but wish I could.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Can't really tell without charging each fully, warming them up, revving the processors and dropping both into one end of a swimming pool. First device to the other side is fastest.

Reactions: Digger148

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I would say the A8X is still a beast, but the A9 is a monster! Almost reaches the same multi-core score with one less core, and beats the single-core score by more than 33%!

The A9X though, that will be...I can't even think of a word for it! But it should be to the A9 what the A8X was to the A8. I'm expecting the A9X to be in the iPad Air 3 next year, along with an iPad mini 5 with an A9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetcat3

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Since the new Iphone 6S has A9 chip and 2GB of RAM compared to Ipad Air's A8X and 2GB of RAM!

That's why iPad Air 2 is on clearance. Only the iPad Prosumer and iPhone 6s+ are worth buying right now if you want something that's not obsolete tech.

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
Well, you could wait for it. Knowing Apple, it wouldn't surprise me if they announced in 1-2 sentences during the iPad pro launch that there's a new iPad Air 3 w/A9

Since the multi-core score for the A9 is slightly lower than the current A8X, I think it's very unlikely they'll drop the A9 into the Air 3. Apple love those charts showing increase in CPU with each generation. I can't see them showing a chart where the score levels-off for their newest iPad.

I would say the A8X is still a beast, but the A9 is a monster! Almost reaches the same multi-core score with one less core, and beats the single-core score by more than 33%!

The A9X though, that will be...I can't even think of a word for it! But it should be to the A9 what the A8X was to the A8. I'm expecting the A9X to be in the iPad Air 3 next year, along with an iPad mini 5 with an A9.

But agreed, the A9X multi-core scores are going to blitz the A9. The word I'm thinking of is 'Behemouth'. If Air 3 arrives next Spring, then probably an A9X. If it's next Autumn, then maybe just a straight A10, with A10X in the Pro2?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Since the multi-core score for the A9 is slightly lower than the current A8X, I think it's very unlikely they'll drop the A9 into the Air 3. Apple love those charts showing increase in CPU with each generation. I can't see them showing a chart where the score levels-off for their newest iPad.

But agreed, the A9X multi-core scores are going to blitz the A9. The word I'm thinking of is 'Behemouth'. If Air 3 arrives next Spring, then probably an A9X. If it's next Autumn, then maybe just a straight A10, with A10X in the Pro2?
I'm thinking the A10's will be reserved for the iPhones, as the A8's and A9's were due to new manufacturing technologies that limit supply. The A9X should be more than enough even for an iPad released next year. An A10X would make sense for an iPad Pro 2, if they decide to release one.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Hmm I wonder if they'll reserve the A9X just for ipad pro, and make a slightly smaller version for iPad Air 3? Also I'm going to assume, there is less throttling on the A8X simply because of the iPad's larger size. Maybe they'll make something called an A9XM for the iPad Air 3, something more conservative, yet more powerful then the iPhone A9?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

I am an ardent iPad Mini fan and user. I hope you are right about the Mini 5... but deep inside I fear it will be 2 more years before a real upgrade. Prove me wrong Apple!!

Reactions: Purdue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.