New iPhone's Number, In use by someone elses Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cuniac, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So, Yesterday I activated my girlfriends iPhone and made a few test calls and everything seemed ok. This morning I receive a FaceTime audio call that displayed it was her. The person kept saying "you called me?" After I though it was just her playing around it started become obvious that it was not her. Still skeptical, I went to her phone and called it, it rang with FaceTime Audio, and I hung up. Ten seconds later I get a call back from her number while I am looking at here idle phone.. Now clearly seeing that she is not calling me, I call Apple and say WTF.

Apple has no idea what is going on. They look at her and my Apple ID and said this doesn't make sense. After troubleshooting for 20min and speaking with a senior advisor their only response was, "You may have to get another number". Surprised with the response, I contacted Verizon and got another number.

For some reason, the previous owner of this number still has it associated with their device and will not let it go. Neither Apple or Verizon had ever heard of this problem. As soon as I changed her number and updated her contact information it did show those facetime calls were coming from her now old phone number, but her phone had no record of any of the calls. Plus I saw this happen in front of me.

2. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: When I changed the number with Verizon and rebooted the phone, the old number was still listed in FaceTime settings. It didn't disappear until I logged out then back in. If I had to take a guess, that other person changed their number but never signed out then back into their Apple ID for FaceTime. It seems like if you don't do that you may still receive FaceTime calls (and maybe iMessages) from that number.