iPhone X New iPhones w/ both Touch & Face ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saxman211, Apr 21, 2018.

1. saxman211 macrumors regular

saxman211

So do you guys think Apple will bring back Touch ID with the next iPhones, putting it in the glass? I remember that being a rumor for the IPhone X, but that Apple couldn’t get it to work this time. Also, do you think the IPhone X’s Face ID can be improved with a software update? Or is that improvement only limited to a hardware improvement? I personally would love to see the Touch ID come back and/or an improved Face ID with iOS 12... If possible.

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Apple denied that FaceID was a short term solution for an under glass finger print.

I think touchID will be replaced by faceID on all models and then never come back - Apple sees facial recognition as a better solution.

3. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

Everything I have read points to Touch ID gone. Betting it will be gone on other smartphones within 3 years. As "Most" people attest to, Face ID is at least as good or better than Touch ID. Some don't feel that way, but are in the minority. The place it shines for me is in place of typing in my password. Or, at minimum not having to tap LogIn.

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

iPhone 8 series and possibly the SE2(if it actually is ever released) will be the last phones with touchid so those will be your choices if you don’t want to lose it. Apple is putting touchid where they put the earphone jack....

5. eyoungren, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Questions about Touch ID still seem to popup.

Let's clear this up. Touch ID is dead. It's not coming back.

Apple Senior VP of Hardware Engineering, Dan Riccio:
    From here: https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/1...s-ever-tried-build-fingerprint-sensor-screen/

6. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Touch ID is dead. Face ID will only get better over time in future hardware updates.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You asked the same question in another thread and it was explained to you prior. Craig Federighi stated Apple experimented with touch ID under the display and ultimately abandoned that project being Face ID was their primary goal. Face ID is Apple’s future and they made that clear during their Keynote, touch ID will be no longer existent after the iPhone 8 in all likeliness. (Unless an updated SE is released, which might still incorporate Touch ID).

8. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

If I asked it already, why respond?? ‍♂️ thanks any way... for the sarcasm and the response

9. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Wishful thinking However Face ID as well as Touch ID on the next iPhone would be a big plus but it’s doubtful at this point in time Face ID is the future as it is tied with AR as well as VR. Two roads that Apple is exploring. But you never know that could be the mega perk of this years iPhone
    Don’t expect to much and you won’t be disappointed !

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To point out the answer? o_O

11. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

My point is if he knows I got a response earlier, there’s no need to respond here... I don’t remember posting this before nor do I remember the response. So it’s all good.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like even more reasoning to point out the previous response then.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Regardless, if I or another member indicated something That was previously repeated in another thread, there is nothing wrong with discussing the same subject in an entirely different thread with a similar topic. Similarly how you asked a related question in another thread, but maybe it was interpreted differently in this thread about Face ID or the context of your question in general. Either way, at least you know how Apple interpreted Face ID that they are experimented with it and they decided not to use touch ID under the display with Face ID being the primary according to Federighi.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Face ID works great. No need to try and stick Touch ID in there with it.