New iphoto library displays as a single file - bad news for time-machine...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yetanotherdave, Aug 13, 2007.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I just ran disk utility x, and saw a 15Gb file, my iPhoto library, which seems odd. But I've just upgraded to iLife 08, so took a look, and the new iPhoto library, acts like an app, in that it's a folder with many sub files/dirs that presents itself as a single file to the finder.
    In iLife 06, an incremental backup would just backup new photos. Now, it would seem, an incremental backup such as time machine, would backup the entire library file, every time you upload new photos, as the large file would change.
    I realy hope apple makes time machine look at the individual files within the library, or I'd going to need 100's of terrabytes of backup disk space...

2. Gee macrumors 65816

What's more, any FAT32 formatted drive will only take files up to 4GB...

3. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

i'd guess that timemachine would only work with an hfs+ formatted hard drive?

4. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Or ZFS? *hopes*

5. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I uguess it all depends on what level the OS looks at that "file"
    if it looks at it as finder displays it, there could be problems, if it looks at it from a unix POV, ie as a folder it should all be ok. Can any developers confirm?

[.edit] or rather, how does cocoa address .app files and similar.

6. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

iLife and Time Machine are both owned by Apple. i'm sure that they are smart enough to realize this. anyhow, it is still UNIX in the background to the file manipulation so it is a folder. a folder with an extension.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If ChronoSync can be set to only backup individual files of a package like the iPhoto Library, I'd be very surprised if TimeMachine couldn't...