new iPhoto update crashes every time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danoftroy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. danoftroy macrumors newbie

Today I was prompted to update iPhoto today. I am running OS X 10.8.2.

As soon as I updated iPhoto, I tried to Export an image, and iPhoto closed. I reopened it and it crashed again. I restarted the computer, and opened iPHoto, and it said iPhoto library was damaged and it would be repaired. It went through the repair mode, which lasted about 10 minutes, then I restarted the Macbook Pro again, and nothing changed.

I have two questions, or options, as I can best figure.

One, how can I fix this? I have a backup in Time Machine, but I do not want to back up the bad database in the morning.

Two, can I uninstall iPhoto, and reinstall it again? I would lose my iPhoto library at that point, would't I?

Please understand I have over 350GB of images on this Macbook Pro, and this concerns me.

Please give me the best solution, if possible.

Thank you,

Dan

2. blatopilot macrumors regular

Restart your computer and hold SHIFT before the Apple screen boots. This is safe mode, it may act slow or odd.

Once logged in:

Hold down OPTION and COMMAND and launch iPhoto.

You will be prompted with options. Try some of the options presented. Repair permissions, repair database etc. See if that helps.

Also check to make sure your iPhoto library is in your pictures folder in Finder (in your case the file should be 350GB)