Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlykthxbai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
well bestbuy has a sale on 16gb first gen which would be 229 or i could get 8gb 2nd gen for same price.my friend told me about jailbreaking so you could get free games which is only avalbile for 1st gen right?im not to sure i care for external speaker would be just like the PsP right?they are somewhat quiet.is there a noticable difference in battery life?

ThunderBull4

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Well there have been many complaints about the battery life on the 2nd gens, so I wouldn't count that as a benefit. IMO jailbreaking is worth it, also you get another 8 gigs

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
i dont think i could live without the speaker on my 2g touch. for convenience sake, i can listen to songs/youtube/game music without having to worry about having a pair of ear buds. it really makes that much difference to me. qualitys fine...if it had really great sound quality that would just be obnoxious to people nearby.

i dont know about the 1g's battery life but i can go a few of days without charging my 2g touch. i would prefer a 8gb 2gen over the 16gb 1gen (though I have a 16gb 2gen). i didnt jailbreak mine but i still have some pretty good free games on my touch...i trust the app store :p

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you are a jailbreak fan, then the 1st generation. I know that eventually the second generation will be jailbroken but as of now, it has not been. The speaker is negligible imho. And the screen of the 2nd generation has a yellowish tint to it compared to the 1st generation.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
The 2g battery life is better than 1g. The screen of the 2g is "warmer," something apple has been trying to phase in. Everyone I know has gotten used to it and people say it looks much better than the 1st generation's screen.

bagnag

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
2ed

get a 2g because of speakers and esxternal volume controls. they are working on getting a jailbreak for 2g. so just wait and the 2g will be better. i just ordered a 8gb 2g myself.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I want to chime in here and say I picked up a 16 gig 1G from Best Buy's clearance, and I'm incredibly. Sure a speaker would have been nice, but for double the capacity I can live with it.

I played a game or two on it last night, and the game speed seemed fine, too. Only (minor) complaint I have is that when going from portrait to landscape mode it seems to be kind of jerky. That might just be the way it is, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.