New Ipod 16gb 1gen or 8gb 2gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Orlykthxbai, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Orlykthxbai macrumors newbie

well bestbuy has a sale on 16gb first gen which would be 229 or i could get 8gb 2nd gen for same price.my friend told me about jailbreaking so you could get free games which is only avalbile for 1st gen right?im not to sure i care for external speaker would be just like the PsP right?they are somewhat quiet.is there a noticable difference in battery life?

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Well there have been many complaints about the battery life on the 2nd gens, so I wouldn't count that as a benefit. IMO jailbreaking is worth it, also you get another 8 gigs

3. maclook macrumors 65816

i dont think i could live without the speaker on my 2g touch. for convenience sake, i can listen to songs/youtube/game music without having to worry about having a pair of ear buds. it really makes that much difference to me. qualitys fine...if it had really great sound quality that would just be obnoxious to people nearby.

i dont know about the 1g's battery life but i can go a few of days without charging my 2g touch. i would prefer a 8gb 2gen over the 16gb 1gen (though I have a 16gb 2gen). i didnt jailbreak mine but i still have some pretty good free games on my touch...i trust the app store :p

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you are a jailbreak fan, then the 1st generation. I know that eventually the second generation will be jailbroken but as of now, it has not been. The speaker is negligible imho. And the screen of the 2nd generation has a yellowish tint to it compared to the 1st generation.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The 2g battery life is better than 1g. The screen of the 2g is "warmer," something apple has been trying to phase in. Everyone I know has gotten used to it and people say it looks much better than the 1st generation's screen.

6. bagnag macrumors newbie

2ed

get a 2g because of speakers and esxternal volume controls. they are working on getting a jailbreak for 2g. so just wait and the 2g will be better. i just ordered a 8gb 2g myself.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

I want to chime in here and say I picked up a 16 gig 1G from Best Buy's clearance, and I'm incredibly. Sure a speaker would have been nice, but for double the capacity I can live with it.

I played a game or two on it last night, and the game speed seemed fine, too. Only (minor) complaint I have is that when going from portrait to landscape mode it seems to be kind of jerky. That might just be the way it is, though.