New iPod classic - any real signs this could be true?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jacqueclaude, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Jacqueclaude macrumors member

I've heard the idea about a 'new ipod classic' being tossed around all over the internet, but where has this idea actually come from?

Do we have any real evidence that could suggest a refresh?

I must admit I'm a sucker when it comes to new apple products, so I'd definitely get one, however, If I'm going to get it I want to sell my current ipod classic for the best price before a new one comes out.

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I usually refer to the Buyer's Guide it tends to be rather accurate - at least when it comes to iPods

3. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Apple has already announced shortages for the latest models a crossed the board..this means a update is coming. Plus for the last 3 or so years Sept./Oct. has always had iPod refreshes.

4. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot for your replies - you've convinced me there's a new one nowXD

I'll be putting my iPod classic on ebay this week - I should get about 200 quid for it, considering how well looked after it is.

Hopefully I won't have to add much more to that money for the new version!

5. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Do they really sell for £200? You can get a new one from Amazon for £205!!

6. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Is 200 for 80GB or 160GB? Cause it's worth around $390 in U.S. Assuming shipping isn't too much, England users should try and get on from the States!

Usually there's a revision each year, usually with better battery, more space, and something we don't expect around September-November

7. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

The brand new model for £205 at Amazon is the 160Gb model.

8. 204467 macrumors 6502a

You know, it will probably just be a spec bump, I don't see the point or probability in changing the design. The 5th gen's design stayed that way for 2 years. Getting a new one this September seems rather silly to me, they will probably look and function exactly the same way.

It's funny that you said England uswers should try and get them from the US, because I knew someone who did exactly that. My brother had a German exchange student here for a month and the kid went to an Apple store or some authorized reseller to get an iPod, simply because they were about 50-100% more expensive there. Luckily, that was one thing that my brother didn't have to pay for (he had to spend well over 100 dollars on the exchange student when he was here, because he either ran out of money or made mean remarks about my brother being cheap).

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There won't be an update since there is nothing new to put in them. Maybe a slight refresh to the UI but nothing more.

Don't get your hopes up, but I guess I am too late for that.

10. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

There will be more that they can add. Apple always find something to add/improve that we never thought about.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Like? :rolleyes:

And let's be reasonable since there aren't any 320GB 1.8" dual platter HDDs out yet.

12. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

13. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

I understand there's no way they can increase the spec yet, but I'm one who tends to like having *new* things.

And yes, I was on ebay and was surprised to see the 160gb models selling for around £200, odd eh!

I'm not getting my hopes up for a 'big change', but I'd like to seel my iPod now, rather than selling it when new ones may or may not be out, and getting less for it.

Thanks for your replied everyone, but I'm definitely going to sell it:p

14. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Oh, my bad. Is this the same with 64GB Flash Drive for an iTouch?

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes, but I haven't been keeping up with flash as much. Until there is a 32GB flash chip at that size (smaller than 1.8") than there is not a huge chance there will be a 64GB iPT or 32GB iPhone.

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Possible feature enhancements

• Lower prices (-$50)
    • Larger (~3") portrait display, like the rumored iPod nanos
    • Wi-Fi
    • Small software enhancements
    • Skimming??

17. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

That's my point. There's nothing I can think of which will upgrade the iPods significantly, but I still think Apple could introduce something which I could never have thought of or hoped for. For example with the last refresh I thought it would be too impractical to introduce cover flow into th regular iPods, yet somehow Apple introduced it very effectively Not to mention a slick new interface.

18. Super Intendo macrumors regular

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Good point. In that case there could be a nice UI update or something.

Those are juicy! Can't wait to see them in a 64GB iPod Touch, which is the entry level iPod storage of choice.

20. qacjared macrumors regular

you know apple made a multi touch trackpad. How bout a multi touch click wheel? or atleast one with gestures.

21. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Oh yeah, there's no question that an update to the iPod line is on the way, along with the notebook line of course. :)

22. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Lets hope they fit wi-fi into it as well.

I recon that's the only thing mines missing
    actually, divx video support wouldn't hurt, saves converting for hours to watch a video once or twice.