New Ipod headphones (with volume control)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Turbunator92, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Turbunator92 macrumors member

hi im just wondering if the new ipod headphones announced today would work with the generation 1 ipod touch and iphone 3g

2. Turbunator92 thread starter macrumors member

3. ranp101 macrumors newbie

they have the same connection.. 3.5mm..... so they will be fit...:)

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No. Look at their website. They are good only for the new ones. Plus they aren't good for the iphone either.

It is just Apple trying to make more money. Give new options then you have to pay more for something else to use the upgrades. I guess that is how business works. Sucks for the consumer though. At least 2.1 is free. That is cool.

5. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

No, they only work with the new Touch, Nano, and Classic that were released today. The only reason I could see people buying the new headphones is for the Microphone on it, which would allow you to use a bunch of apps you couldn't use before.

6. saxman macrumors 6502

That's a little disconcerting. They are fragmenting their accessory line. It's a way to make more money, but also generate some animosity

7. ranp101 macrumors newbie

they will still work with all old ipod models... but the microphone and the remote will not...

8. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I assume you meant the microphone will not work, not the "speaker".

What I would like to know for certain is whether the Earphones with Remote and Mic are the default, included earphones for the new iPod touch and nano. The way the announcement today was written up on several sites, it sounded (to me) like it was something that came with the new nanos, but I cannot be sure. Didn't the plain-jane earphones used to cost the same as these do now ($29)?

Edit: yes, here's a link to the plain headphones which cost $29

9. ranp101 macrumors newbie

10. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I honestly cannot believe this. Is anyone else not angry about this at all? For months I've been waiting for some sort of remote to control volume on my iPod touch without fishing it out of my pocket and messing around with the screen, which is downright dangerous when I'm riding my bicycle. This is ridiculous. What does Apple expect me to do now? Spend $300 on a new iPod touch so I can get remote volume control? It's absolutely crazy!

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm cheezed too. I would've bought the $80 ones.

12. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i can't believe apple did this. it sounds like something microsoft would do. i was looking forward to that microphone so i can get some voice apps like shazam and a voice notes app and possibly even a voip app in the future. this really sucks:mad:

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

You're right on the money. You spend more to get new features, as always. A new model with new features doesn't mean that the old model should just automatically be upgraded to the same stuff.

14. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Well, the reason it doesn't work is because of the headphone jack. If it used the dock connector then I would be angry about it. Someone commented on how recessed the jack is. It's because it now uses the same jack that the iPhone uses. Allowing more control. The new headphones will have an extra ring on them which either the Touch 1st can't detect or it will plain not fit in the first gen Touch.

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

He didn't expect it to be free. He/we were willing to pay Apple $30-80 for the feature in form of buying the headphones. I understand WHY it doesn't work (it's a technical thing, the headphone jack has extra connectivity for the new features) but it still sucks for 1G touch/iPhone owners... especially since Apple STILL doesn't have a remote for these devices. The only iPods that REALLY NEED a remote device and they don't have it. :(

16. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

There actually are remotes available that connect to the dock connector.

You can find them on EBay for a few bucks, and they are advertised as being compatible with the Touch. Typically they look like the old iPod remotes, or have a control cluster like the iPod Shuffle.

17. Strategy macrumors member

These are awesome, You can turn the touch into a ghetto skype phone or similar VoIP phone with these.

18. azure247 macrumors 6502

19. Strategy macrumors member

I was kind of using it as an example.

Im sure someone will develop an app via jailbreak that will enable some form of voip.

20. selena12321, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

21. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

huh?:confused::confused::confused:

22. micha10589 macrumors member

micha10589

I feel your pain and totally agree with you. This is the one thing that is essential for iPod Touch and they add volume control to the second gen but refuse to give it to the early adopters by way of the headphones. Shame on Apple.

I would even have gotten the overpriced in-ear headphones if they allowed me to change volume.

Now I guess I'll have to buy some Sennheiser headphones that have volume control.

Strange to think that my 4 year old Nokia 6230 has a headset with remote for volume, skip tracks and mic - oh yes, and it has a built in FM Tuner as well.

23. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Look at the headphone jack during the keynote and you'll see that it's a 4-conductor 3.5mm jack, which is the same jack used on the current (non-volume control) iPhone headphones. This means the new headphones will very likely be compatible with the iPhone. I dunno about the Touch though.

24. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I predict that a jailbreak will not even be necessary to get a Skype-like app on the 2nd generation Touch. Remember, Apple has already gone on record as saying they would not block a VoIP application provided it was WiFi-based.