Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I've been using Apple's previous model In-Ear earbuds for about 3 years now, and I love the things. I saw that they released new ones along with the new iPods. I know they don't come out until next month but I was wondering about product compatibility.

The info page on the store says they only work on the new iPods there were released. But what I liked about the old ones is that I could use them on my computer, on my DS, PSP, and even TV if I wanted to. Are these really only compatible with the new iPods, or are they referring only to the mic and remote features?

For that matter, wouldn't the remote work fine for the previous iPod Touch, but not the mic?

I know alot of this won't be known until the general public gets their hands on 'em, but I was just curious as to if anyone knew anything I didn't.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
they should work fine for music for all devices. the remote and mic features will only be compatible with the new iPod touch and nano and classic as described on Apple's site. this is because the additional features "travel" through additional rings on the plug. older devices aren't designed to read from those rings.
i too have been using the old Apple in-ears and love them! i'm really looking forward to the new ones.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well dang. I wish they offered the earbuds without the remote & mic then. I'm sure that's tacking on another $20-$30 to the price.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Well dang. I wish they offered the earbuds without the remote & mic then. I'm sure that's tacking on another $20-$30 to the price.

No, because the normal earphones with remote and mic added is the same price as the old earphones.

The price difference is low enough that they didn't bother creating 2 lines, and charging a premium for the mic/remote version (which I think they could have.)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
No, because the normal earphones with remote and mic added is the same price as the old earphones.

The price difference is low enough that they didn't bother creating 2 lines, and charging a premium for the mic/remote version (which I think they could have.)

No, actually the Old model was $40 Whereas the New model is $80, over twice the price.

I'm just thankful that it seems like they're keeping both lines, though they may phase out the old ones once stock has run dry.

shatalin

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
There is a note:

*Compatibility Information

The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models.

joopdor

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
The in ear headphones with remote are expected in October; Hope they will arrive soon

Boss250

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
When are these things comin out? :confused: I was so hyped for them when they released the new iPods and then I heard the 10th, so I waited and still "Coming Soon" so when I heard about the macbook event today I figured, ok they'll release them then but still none shipping. Does anyone have any idea why they would torture us like this, with the most amazing pair of earphones, just telling that they'll make them, eventually. Until then just read the specs and drool. And more important, does any one know when they will come out?

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
when i went to the NYC apple store i was told that they should have them in stock today.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
If you need new phones, do yourself a favor and stay away from the Apple nonsense. There are many better options out there.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
If you need new phones, do yourself a favor and stay away from the Apple nonsense. There are many better options out there.

The old ipod HD in ears were quality phones man. The phones after that had material problems where they fell out of the ears easy, but they all sounded good.

Not to mention... show me a name brand company who is releasing a two driver set of phones for the price, and ill consider something it.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
The old ipod HD in ears were quality phones man. The phones after that had material problems where they fell out of the ears easy, but they all sounded good.

Not to mention... show me a name brand company who is releasing a two driver set of phones, and ill consider something it.

Apple's a bit late to the game here. Remember, it's not an audio company. Shure, Ultimate Ears, Westone, and Klipsch (to name a few) all have dual driver IEMs in their lineups. And Shure and Ultimate Ears have triple drivers, too. In fact Ultimate Ears has a 4-driver custom IEM. A bit pricey at $1100, but it will trickle down soon enough. The point is that the IEM space is a crowded one and their are a lot of excellent options out there. By all means, give the Apple phones a try, maybe they'll be great, but you might want to check out some of the other excellent offerings out there.

EDIT: I just noticed you edited to add price into the equation, which is fair enough. If they can turn out a nice dual-driver for less, then great. I'm all for giving them a chance. But I'm not holding my breath.

Does anyone know from which company Apple is sourcing these, if any?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
When does the new earphone coming out anyway? Im waiting to test the new earphones cause my old one is busted.

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City

Agreed.

the premium ones arent even out yet....you dont know that.

Pro-Audio and premium sound are at a completely different standard, and for that I trust the likes of Shure, Ultimate Ears, Klipsch, Etymotic, and etc. - not some computer company rebranded as a consumer electronics giant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.