Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iPod Peripherals?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple updated the iPod line in April, 2003 with the introduction of the "3rd Generation" iPods at sizes of 10GB, 15GB and 30GB. The newest iPods sported a redesigned case as well as a new bottom connector, allowing the use of a Dock.

Reliable reports now indicate that Apple is poised to launch two new peripherals (not accessories) specifically for the 3rd Generation iPod owners. Unfortunately, details of the items are unavailable at this time.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Remote!

Please let one be a little dock that hooks to your stereo (and the usual cable for charging) and has a remote control... and let it ALSO be compatible with universal remotes!

Comment

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
wow! I hope it gets released around Paris Show... will it? and what could they be? superdock? recording (mic)?

Comment

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
All I want is some kind of recording device. I don't need portable video or anything like that. If the iPod had audio-in, it would be perfect. A cheaper model would be nice though.

Comment

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
mic and pitch control, other dj gear

its a mike. it has to be.

apple has mentioned here and there that DJs are making ots of requests for things like pitch control.

i wager we'll see some more trick connectors, etc for specific uses for people like DJs and amatuer recording buffs.

apple offered CD burning of live PHISH shows I heard. How nuts would it be if half the crowd as recording their own experience?

fun fun

go apple

Comment

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Oh please let it be a mic.
I have to carry a 30 gig ipod AND a sony MD rec device with mic I really want to to get rid of.

Comment

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
I coaxed my dad into buying a 15gb just this evening. Let's see how things work out. Screw pitch control, though. An iPod is far too crazy to DJ on. Reports of DJs requesting pitch control seem ot be bull**** to me--I am a DJ and regardless of how sexy the machine is, it is not made for performing.

Sorry fro typos, it is Saturday night.

Comment

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Originally posted by sacrilicious
Screw pitch control, though. An iPod is far too crazy to DJ on. Reports of DJs requesting pitch control seem ot be bull**** to me--I am a DJ and regardless of how sexy the machine is, it is not made for performing.

I dj with mp3s and I would never use an iPod (screen too small, small controls...)... Traktor from NI is the choice IMO, I couldn't do without Traktor's flexibility, the loop options, and the filter... plus you can run it on the low-end iBook so a nice setup is not very expensive...

vSpacken

Comment

Dr Jerkyll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
I would immediately uppgrade to the new generation iPod if it was a device that allowed me to transfer and store pictures from my digicam

Comment

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Dr Jerkyll
I would immediately uppgrade to the new generation iPod if it was a device that allowed me to transfer and store pictures from my digicam

who said you can't transfer and store pics from your camera? it's a hard drive just like any other, just drop whatever you want in there, pics included. i use it to transfer data all the time. hell, i even i had the whole spiderman movie in there for while.

Comment

Dr Jerkyll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
Originally posted by tjwett
who said you can't transfer and store pics from your camera? it's a hard drive just like any other, just drop whatever you want in there, pics included. i use it to transfer data all the time. hell, i even i had the whole spiderman movie in there for while.

Yea yea, you know what i mean... :)
Without having to place a mac in between the iPod and the cam of course. Great for travelling.

Comment

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
A video sleeve

I think a sleeve (still could be VERY small) that had a video screen and a 3/4 megapixel camera/video camera would be neat - but I agree it's most likely a component interface - something to activate the existing recording capability of the iPod or a mixing/DJ accessory.

Comment

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC

I have always thought that a firewire based 8 in 1 dock would be awesome - make it Mac/PC and iPod compatible and you've got an INSTANT best seller - that would be the fastest media transfer that was stylish and firewire!

CompactFlash/Microdrive/SmartMedia/SD/MMC/XD/MemoryStick

Comment

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Yeah, exactly what is the difference between a peripherals and accessories? Would a super dock count as a peripheral?

Comment

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Why do we need a mic? I'm hoping for things that are cooler than a mic.

I wouldn't mind seeing a DJ kit. Maybe it comes with a turntable and pitch and other audio controls and you hook up your iPod to that? I don't know. I just want something cheap and reliable so I can do scratching without buying $600 turntables and vinyl. :D

What if it's something simple like an Apple iPod car dock to compete with the 3rd party one's?

I'll just be glad Apple will be creating peripherals.

Comment

robmorton

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
Yea yea, you know what i mean... :)
Without having to place a mac in between the iPod and the cam of course. Great for travelling.

I never even thought about that. The last couple of vacations I took my laptop with me exclusively to download photos from my camera. If I could leave my laptop home, I would really like that. Now, I am not sure the iPod could handle so many different cameras, but it is a cool idea.

Comment

coyote

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Sausalito, CA
Dj console?

Originally posted by sacrilicious
Screw pitch control, though. An iPod is far too crazy to DJ on. Reports of DJs requesting pitch control seem ot be bull**** to me--I am a DJ and regardless of how sexy the machine is, it is not made for performing.

Yes, but what if the new peripheral is a DJ mixing console, which gives you control of two or three iPods, with fade, pitch control, etc?

Think big!

Comment

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
How about a wireless remote? I hate how the remote extends the headphones so much. Maybe a wireless headphone with that wireless remote? Does the remote port power small devices?

Comment

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
An accessory provides better functionality of an existing feature. The dock for instance makes syncing your ipod easier, but it's not required. The remote control on the headphones makes changing track easier, but again, isn't required to do it.

A peripheral adds whole new functionality, such as a microphone for recording. You can't record without it.

Comment

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by biw314
how about an am/fm tuner?

so far, that, and the mic are the two most logical items available......

maybe they will offer a streamline remote with lcd with builtin fm tuner and also has a builtin mic as well........

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.