New iPod Possibilities...Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DeeGee48, Aug 1, 2007.

1. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Like all of you, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about the 'possible' new iPods. Maybe I should just say "the new iPods" because we know they're coming, eventually; and probably rather soon (by late September I'd think). I've been putting together in my mind what Apple may well do based on all the talk and rumors over the last nine months. Of course, none of us really knows, nor will know, until they come out, but here are my considered opinions.

First, a new Nano. I think it could well be square as discussed recently. Let's say about 2 inches square. At this form factor, it could have either a 4:3 or 16:9 screen, both larger than the current model has. The 4:3 would be about 1 and 5/16 by 1 and 3/4 inches, set back 1/8 inch from the edge. If 16:9, the dimensions would be about 15/16 by 1 and 3/4 inches at the same set back. This version would then have room to incorporate a click wheel under the screen the size of a penny; small, but still usable. Personally though, I think they'd go with a 4:3 version. Video would display larger (with 16:9 being the same size as on the other version, within the 4:3 frame), AND this would give Apple a chance to put two of their recent patents to work. The bezel under the screen could be touch-sensitive (see patent revealed October 26, 2006 on AppleInsider) allowing for a slider-type control for example (for volume say). On the rear would be a touch sensitive surface with an etched click wheel (May 10, 2007 reveal, also on AppleInsider for the full story). The position of your finger on the rear would show up on the front screen for different functions, and the etched click wheel would allow you to operate it in your pocket without having to look at the screen. Storage capacity would probably stay at 4 and 8 GB's as long as the iPhone is at that level. But who knows???

Then there's the 6G widescreen "true video iPod", probably the most sought-after device after the iPhone. On some of my other posts (please see) I detail that I HOPE it's screen has a 2:40 to 1 CinemaScope aspect ratio, to allow ALL video to be displayed at constant height and full aspect ratio with no cropping or compromise of the image (being a former theatre projectionist for 20 years, this is important to me as it is to most film buffs). My version (worked off the 5G's dimensions) would allow for a full 'Scope picture of approximately 2 and 1/16 by 4 and 15/16 inches. Spectacular! And all other sizes would have black masking bars on the sides ONLY, to frame in the picture nicely. But this would require Apple's contractors to do yet another retooling now, so soon sfter the iPhone. They probably won't do this right away (hopefully someday!) but rather will bring out the "iPhone without the phone" iPod so as to use the same basic case, etc. Now, if they get rid of the earphone and home button and enlarge the screen to about 2 by 4 and 1/8 inches to at least allow for BIG video, it would be a start in the right direction. They could also use any combination of their (above unused) patents and current iPhone functionality to make one really neat device. We might also see stereo Bluetooth and wireless headphones for it and Wi-Fi (for downloads on the go? for the Net??) Capacity should be an 80 GB HDD MINIMUM. I'd like to see well over a hundred GB though, and wonder if there'd be room in one of these "Super-Pods" to put in TWO drives and double the storage???!!!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if ANY of this happens. And remember, last year when everybody was speculating about a "possible" iPhone, it seems that all the mockups had....plastic-button keyboards! And when it FINALLY came out we all said "WHAT HATH JOBS WROUGHT?" and were promptly blown away! So this time, whatever we get, I think we'll be pretty much pleased...It's just the first day of school for this stuff, after all.

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Why not make some PS mockups? We always like those. :D

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

crickey uve really put some thought into this!!!

i agree with you onthe ipod. needs to be some really big upgrades so that they can keep well ahead of the competition.

the ipods will have to remain thin, i dont think they will have 2 HDD's or wateva they are going to use. possibly flash?? but very expensive.

touch screen would be good apple :)

they need to be able to decode at least 720p, so people can hook it up to their hi-def tv's. lol.maybe thats pushing it, but u kno...

4. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

I would, but believe it or not...I don't have PhotoShop!! :eek:

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh u poor poor man. i have it and i dont even kno how to use it!!! lol

6. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Get you some GIMP!

Get you some Library Books! (Not a real link)

;)

7. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Some More Brainstorms On This...

When I got up this morning it occured to me that there might be a better way to build that 'square' Nano. I decided to work if off the dimensions of the 5G like I did with the 6G 'Scope idea (more on that also).

Since the 5G is 2 and 7/16 inches wide, make THAT the dimension of the 'square' Nano (with the rounded edges of course). THEN the screen would be the current 4:3 screen of the 5G. That would be awesome! BIG, and 640 x 480 resolution...ON A NANO! You'd also have a nice size bezel under the screen for your touch sensitive area, and the back could either be the rear touch surface with an etched/virtual click wheel, or simply the actual full size click wheel! It would almost be like folding the 5G backwards over on itself, but Nano-thin. Let's stay tuned on this one...

As for the widescreen 6G "true video iPod"....As I said above they would probably go with the phoneless iPhone idea to minimize retooling and lots of new parts. My thought, though, is that you could STILL have a 2:40 to 1 CinemaScope screen by making it approximately 1 and 23/32 by 4 and 1/8 inches (instead of 2 and 1/16 by 4 and 15/16). A little smaller than my original idea, but still VERY serviceable, with the needed advantage of running ALL aspect ratios with NO cropping or other compromises. And the other advantage is a slightly wider "long bezel" for touch conrol with the other patent possibilities applying too! And did I mention that this beauty should also have radio (FM/XM-Sirius)? I didn't? Well there!

8. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

9. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

6G iPod Styling Like the new iMacs?

Since the new iMac release the other day (Aug 7), I'm now fantasizing that my CinemaScope iPod---or whatever the 6 Gen turns out to be---COULD be styled after the computer with that gorgeous glass and aluminum. I think the newiMac is quite possibly the sleekest, prettyest computer Apple has ever made and I for one would LOVE to see the "true widescreen video iPod" styled like it! Any thoughts?