new iPod shuffle?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AMSOS, Mar 27, 2011.

1. AMSOS macrumors newbie

hello all,
    i plan to buy several iPod's (shuffle) as gifts for friends. while the current 4th generation shuffle seems quite nice, a friend pointed out that its been around for a while now and apple should be releasing a new version soon.
    does anyone have more info about this? if not where can i get more info on the same? i called apple but the agents said they have no idea.
    on the other hand, i am wondering as to the changes apple will make with a new shuffle. the present model seems to be quite nice and it looks to me that a new model might simply have cosmetic changes.
    so, any ideas when the new shuffle will be launched? and the new features/big changes it will have.
    thanks!

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

If a new shuffle is released this year it will most likely be around September.
    As for changes, I have not heard of any.

3. irishtike macrumors member

I have had several versions of the shuffle, 1st gen, 2nd gen, and now the 4th gen, 4th is the best by far. i would go with that as it works great and can even have playlists and podcasts if your into that stuff

4. AMSOS thread starter macrumors newbie

so when exactly is the new release?

thanks guys!
    and i should have done my homework earlier, but since i put up my query i checked around on this site. and the "buyer's guide" section says that the shuffle should have a major update within 20 days!
    though of course this is an average figure, now i am left wondering if i should wait a bit - say a fortnight - to see new models rolling out with better features.
    or will the new shuffle be released not before september?
    what say?

5. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

I've had the second and the 4th. I'd say the fourth is better, it's smaller and looks better and the sound quality seems to be better.

6. bindle macrumors regular

It's quite unlikely that we'll see an update within the next few weeks. Not impossible though - if I remember correctly, the 3rd gen (buttonless) just showed up in the store sometime in March 2009. However if something were coming out in the next weeks, we'd have heard some whispers.

Anyway, I love the features of the current shuffle, but wish the next iteration would be a bit longer in size just for some finger space. On the current one, it's a bit hard to maneuver/clip without accidentally pressing a button. But apart from that, the current one is my favorite shuffle.

7. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Only thing I could see them changing with the shuffle is maybe bumping to 4GB capacity again.

I don't really see a new iPod Shuffle coming out in 2011, it seems that apple has run out of ideas with what to do with a no screen music player. I mean after all they went backwards to the 2nd gen design this last release.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Have played with a 1st gen shuffle and 2nd gen, used to own the 3rd gen and it was by far the worst. Now I have a silver fourth gen and I love it! I don't think the shuffle will see a major refresh this year - the design is solid and it's not one of Apple's main revenue streams. If anything, I could only see the addition of a 4GB model and a refresh/addition of colours.