New iPod, some quick questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by interairproxima, Sep 8, 2009.

1. interairproxima macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I just received an iPod touch as a gift from old family friends (16 GB 2nd gen). They made the gift into a big event and forced me to open it in front of them. Now, i Know that the new iPods will most likely be released tomorrow, so I'm not sure about what to do. I remember reading somewhere that if you purchased something within 14 days of an update to the product line, they will upgrade you for the restocking fee. Anyone have experience in this matter?

Thanks in advance!
    -PS I do not have the receipt and am not sure where my friends bought the touch.

2. celticpride678

You will have to pay the 10% restocking fee, but yes, you can return it. However, some people have reported success by calling Apple and getting the restocking fee waived, but I would not bet on it.

3. Avenger macrumors 6502

Ask for the receipt. Tell them the reason why. I doubt they'll be upset. You can't do anything without a receipt. If it was bought from Apple and you have the receipt, you can return within 14 days for a restocking fee. If they bought from some place like best buy where there isn't a restocking fee, that would be even better.

4. Avenger macrumors 6502

He'll still need the receipt for this.

5. interairproxima thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. thanks guy for the quick responses.
    Heres some more info: I have absolutely no clue where they bought the iPod, i just know it had to have been within the last month, which is good for returns (hopefully). I am pretty sure they didn't buy it from apple though, which can be both a blessing and a curse i guess. If they did not buy it from apple, then I could just return it to the store and buy a new one right?

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think most stores allow a return for a giftcard if you have no receipt. use it to buy the new one.

7. Avenger macrumors 6502

Goes by store policy if it is someplace else.