Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Agreed on the colors. What happened to nice bold primary colors? I think my orange shuffle is so cool. :)

But that aside, the shuffle has to be the biggest disappointment of the day. Other companies are making better shuffle size players for less money. (Samsug was it?) has a 2GB player the same size as the shuffle for the same $79. Steve couldn't have put 2GB of memory in it???

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
They should have upped the price to $99, added an OLED screen or black and white LED screen or something.. That would've been nice. Keep it menuless, but at least this way you can see what song you're listening to

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
The beauty of the shuffle is that it is just what it is, no screen, no need to make decisions, no problems -- and the new colors are pretty gentle but cool.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
I'd have to give the stagnancy a negative rating. New colors... and that's all? seriously? We ALL know NAND has declined in price to the extent that 2gb is expected at this price-point. I'm glad they brought (RED) to the shuffle, but wasn't Jobs the one tauting how incredible the orange was? I miss the bold colors, too.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apparently what makes colors cool isn't the particular shades, but the fact that they are different than the previous set of colors. When they come out with new colors, people with iPods in the old colors are instantly out of fashion. So of course they need to upgrade to hide their shame!

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, not trying to thread crap, but does anybody REALLY care about shuffle? New colors, that's it right?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I think it's still a great design that doesn't need updating, but it's just too expensive for the capacity. Memory pricing has come way down.

It needs either a price drop or a capacity boost.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
They should have upped the price to $99, added an OLED screen or black and white LED screen or something.. That would've been nice. Keep it menuless, but at least this way you can see what song you're listening to

You can't hear what song you are listening to?

The shuffle is a perfect litle device. More storage would always be nice but it is fine as it is.

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
But that aside, the shuffle has to be the biggest disappointment of the day. Other companies are making better shuffle size players for less money. (Samsug was it?) has a 2GB player the same size as the shuffle for the same $79. Steve couldn't have put 2GB of memory in it???

I agree with that! And who the hell cares about new colours? The old colours were fine. Colour is not an "upgrade" a music player needs. (...unless your only choices are "neon pink" and "puce")

I want a 4Gb Shuffle. Even more than that, I want headphones with integrated Shuffle (something like this) so I don't have wires that constantly snag on things. Every day, I get earbuds ripped violently out of my ears when the wires snag or tangle. If I jog in the woods, I need to call an ambulance and give them advance notice so they can have some donor ears on ice, ready for transplantation.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, not trying to thread crap, but does anybody REALLY care about shuffle? New colors, that's it right?

I love the Shuffle, it's a fantastic product, I recommend it a lot.
For anyone who is not a power listener (ie happy with a rotation of 2-300 songs), and wants it for activities like any kind of exercise, it's absolutely perfect. I actually never get through the whole playlist on the shuffle before I recharge and reload it.

If there are songs you want to hear more often, no prob, just drag them multiple times into the shuffle. It won't load the song on twice, but it will put it twice or more into the shuffle list.

Now if only they'd bring back the Orange. :(

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
Yeah, not trying to thread crap, but does anybody REALLY care about shuffle?

I didn't really appreciate the Shuffle until I got a Nano. I thought the Shuffle was great, but I thought the Nano would blow it away. I was completely wrong. I found that the menu system doesn't work the way I want and is unconfigurable. The touch wheel is too "touchy" and you constantly have to put the lock on to avoid blasting your ears with accidental volume changes. It's larger and heavier than the Shuffle. When you want to turn the Shuffle off, you just switch off. On the Nano, you press and hold and wait (and half the time it didn't work so you have to hold and wait again!).

I want a 4Gb Shuffle to replace my Nano. It looks like now I'll be waiting a long time. (...or I'll buy non-Apple)

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
There must be something up with flash capacity, because the nanos and shuffles did not get updated! I bet the nano price drop was partially included to hold everyone over until the flash deals are more lucrative.

I thought for sure there would be a 2GB black shuffle. I bet, since there was no black color included, they are planning on updating them soon with higher capacities.

-=|Mgkwho

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I like my current Orange Shuffle. The new colors are ok, but liked the brighter colors of the previous generation.

As for a 2gb Shuffle, I really don't see it, unless it's an answer to the now discontinued 2gb nano. I've got 200 songs on my Shuffle. I don't know if double the capacity without some sort of screen for navigation to through more of those songs.

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Am I the only one that thinks the new colors look like ass. I think the orange one of the previous generation was really cool as were most of the other colors. Besides this is a week-***** attempt at updating the shuffle, all the other ipods get something new (case, capacity, etc) but the shuffle gets new colors, I know its small and there isn't much to do with that, but I would think with apple's design team the could have come up with some improvement/tweak to differentiate it from the last version. IDK.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well I was hoping for a 2 GB Shuffle to replace my aged 1st Gen 1 GB Shuffle (Yeeeeeah 2006 baby.:cool:) that is now full.

I'm disappointed, but at least I'm not whining like SOME people here are ("16 GB WTF!?!?!?")

However, this makes the 4 Gb nano (that plays video; a bonus for me) at $149 look very attractive.

I do like the new colors though, a very nice additon. If Apple ever makes an increased capacity Shuffle, you can bet I'll be buying one.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I hope they don't discontinue the previous colors because these news ones are ugly!
Unless they are going to be on clearance at the Apple store, the new colors are most likely perm. replacements for the previous colors.

Since the price of the Shuffle didn't change, I bet non-Apple stores for the next few days, will have the previous Shuffles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.