New Ipod Touch (1G) stuck at Logo, won't charge, not recognized by Itune & Explorer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dreampoet, Dec 21, 2009.

1. dreampoet macrumors newbie

Got a brand new Ipod Touch (1G, seal in original Apple Black Box) as a gift 2 days ago.

When connect to Dell laptop (for battery charging), the Apple Logo appear for a few second and screen turn black. The itune (latest version) didn't recognize the Ipod touch. Window explorer didn't recognized it either.

Nothing happen when the Ipod touch is not connected to the PC.

I tried various method, press sleep button and home button together (with USB connection), the Apple logo appeared then disappear. Then release the sleep button with Home button continue pressed -> nothing happen.....

I had tried it for 2 days now and still nothing worked. I called Apple technical support today. After providing my name and the serial number, the customer service told me that the warranty has expired 149 days ago and I will have to pay $30 to continue the technical support to find out what the problem is!!!:eek: I told her I just receive it as a gift 2 days ago (via mail), and registered the Ipod yesterday, how can the warranty expired. Anyway, after 7 minutes of back and forth, she won't go further with the conversation without me paying $30. What a terrible experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restore it in DFU mode (see my sig for the link).

3. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

No it's not a terrible experience. It's what you get when you expect Apple to help you with something that is almost three years old, when there is only a one year warranty on it.

If you want the true "experience" then don't cheap out and get the oldest generation. Get the latest, w/ warranty if you expect them to drop everything and help you.

4. dreampoet thread starter macrumors newbie

????? I didn't buy the "oldest generation" ->It is a gift. I don't think it will be polite to tell the gift giver that they are "cheap" to buy it. Just looking for some help here. Nobody is anticipated Apple to drop everything to help me here.

There is no reason to be nasty here -> are you employed by Apple?

5. dreampoet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I watched the video and followed the instruction and it didn't work. :(. The itune still didn't recognize the Ipod touch.

I owned an Ipod Mini which came with a wall charger. I wonder if I can use that charger to charge the Ipod touch and see if it will come to life?

6. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Try a new cable. The cable may be faulty. If you can't do that, make sure to plug it in a USB port you know works or that something else is currently working on. Your own computer's USB ports may be faulty. I've had crappy ports on the front of my computer that didn't work with my iPhone but as soon as I plugged it in the back it worked.

7. dreampoet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I tested the cable on ipod nano and it works fine. Just not on the ipod touch.

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Maybe your battery is just dead. :( Shelf life still depletes battery strength. The battery might be worse off from sitting on a shelf than having been used for 3 years since there's been no opportunity to charge.

9. dreampoet thread starter macrumors newbie

This might be it. Thanks for your help.

Still debating if I shall tell the gift giver that the Ipod touch is not working and see if they have the receipt.:eek: -> not sure how long ago they bought it :confused: -> can people still buy brand new 1st generation Ipod touch (not refurbished) these days?

Maybe I will stop by an Apple store first and find out if that is the case and how much it will cost to change the battery.:apple:

10. dreampoet thread starter macrumors newbie

Stop by Apple store today. After looking at the Ipod touch for 2 minutes, the techinian determined that it is not working properly-> it could be the battery or it could be a defective unit. Unfortunely it was bought in B&H in NY in July 2008 and warranty long expired. :( I guest I was out of luck.

Thanks everyone for helping out.:)