Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locklearmj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Hey guys,

I bought a new 32gb touch last night that didn't come preinstalled with 2.0. I payed the 9.99 to install the update, but I was wondering since I bought this brand new after the release of 2.0 if Apple would give me a refund or iTunes credit for the 9.99 I payed. It's not a huge deal but I could use the ten bucks for apps or something.

Thanks

timbo-baggins

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I bought a new 32gb touch last night that didn't come preinstalled with 2.0. I payed the 9.99 to install the update, but I was wondering since I bought this brand new after the release of 2.0 if Apple would give me a refund or iTunes credit for the 9.99 I payed. It's not a huge deal but I could use the ten bucks for apps or something.

Thanks

You could call them and ask, but I don't think it's very likely.

The fact that you had to pay after registering a new iPod Touch against your iTunes account also inclines me to say this.

Plus, everyone else has had to pay. (unless they installed the pre-official-version that appeared on July 10th)

YMMV.

Tim

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Thanks

Unfortunately Apple have stated the 2.0 software update will always remain an 'optional' update, and will never come pre-installed on iPod touch.

Instead iPod touch will follow the releases of the 1.1.X firmwares, i.e the latest is 1.1.5.
This firmware is for people who decided not to upgrade their systems to 2.0.

To answer your question, No, Apple will not offer you a refund as 2.0 is an optional update and does not come pre-installed, unlike 1.1.3 back in January.

Hope this explains,

R-Fly

timbo-baggins

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I didn't know it was 'optional' - that's rather lame

Yes, and it wasn't released until _after_ v2.0, (which was the only version offered via iTunes, at least to me, anyway) by which time a lot of people had already gone ahead and spent their money (like me)

Of course, you need v2.0 for the apps to work.

Tim

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Unfortunately Apple have stated the 2.0 software update will always remain an 'optional' update, and will never come pre-installed on iPod touch.

Instead iPod touch will follow the releases of the 1.1.X firmwares, i.e the latest is 1.1.5.
This firmware is for people who decided not to upgrade their systems to 2.0.

To answer your question, No, Apple will not offer you a refund as 2.0 is an optional update and does not come pre-installed, unlike 1.1.3 back in January.

Hope this explains,

R-Fly

I'm not sure about this. I bought a touch last night and called my apple store today because it is running 1.1.4. They said to bring it in and they'll replace it with one running 2.0.

ynblood

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
I have a question regarding the January update. I have a 1st Gen Itouch that I never upgraded to the January Update. Is the price still $19.99 or is it $9.99 now and still available? Did they drop the price? I didn't see it in the Apple store. The version I am running on my itouch is version 1.1.5. Any help would surely be appreciated. I didn't want to start a new thread and thought I would try to search it out first.

Thanks
YB :)

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I have a question regarding the January update. I have a 1st Gen Itouch that I never upgraded to the January Update. Is the price still $19.99 or is it $9.99 now and still available? Did they drop the price? I didn't see it in the Apple store. The version I am running on my itouch is version 1.1.5. Any help would surely be appreciated. I didn't want to start a new thread and thought I would try to search it out first.

Thanks
YB :)
Firmware 2,0 is $10 and includes all features from the 1.1.3 upgrade as well as the new stuff that was introduced in 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.