New iPod Touch 2G heats up fast, burning smell

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AXs, Sep 7, 2009.

1. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Hey guys, I've been resorting to these forums for years to get solutions to my apple problems but this time I to ask myself - I just bought a new iPod Touch 2G 3 days ago and it heats up really fast: I'm not talking about when I charge it, but simply when I use it for like 30 mins, or an hour. Just simple web browsing, running aps.

There's also a mild burning smell to it. I'm curious if anyone has ever had similar problems? And if so should I return it? get it exchanged? and will apple even allow me to do so?

I bought the piece from an authorized reseller in one of the most credible department stores in my country, should I run back to them or contact apple directly?

Thank you very much for taking time time off to read my little problem, I would appreciate it to the max if you could take a bit more time off your clock to spare this new guy some insides.

A.X

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

That happened to my brother! He returned it to Best Buy and they gave him another one. I would definitely recommend taking it back.

And when you take it back, DON'T GET ANOTHER ONE! They will be refreshed in a couple of days! :p

3. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

I keep waiting for Apple to let all these rumors get going, get everyone all excited, then when the iPod event comes, they won't even HINT about a new iPod touch.

Boy, would people be pissed :p

ON TOPIC,
    OP, I would wait to get a new iPod touch like this poster above me said, get your money back and wait until the iPod event.

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yep, take it in and demand a refund, say you're disgusted or whatever. ;) Then get the new one in 2 days

5. AXs thread starter macrumors 6502a

AXs

Thanks Guys. I'm going to do just that.

But just to be prepared, being a reseller if they give me some problems like deny it etc, do I have to contact apple directly? Cause on the receipt it says '7 days' (for the dpt store) and Apple might take a bit longer since there's no physical apple store here except the local online store. Just a bunch of licensed resellers.

Boy I hope I get this fixed, dont want to be stuck with a heating up iPod touch 2G given to be as a gift under a week before the new launch (man I wish it could've waited 5 days!) heh.

Thank you very much once again!

6. Cask Guest

Axs, go to the reseller and take it back, ask for a refund, and buy a new one tomorrow, online or something. You'll want the new one, it will be cheaper, for more storage, faster like iPhone 3GS and probably a camera.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

As a reseller, they are less likely to deny you a refund than Apple would. Take it in to the reseller for sure.

8. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

If it hisses before you get it replaced, THROW IT AWAY FAST!!!!!!! :eek:

9. Jordan the Nerd macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Even if you can't get your money back, Apple should replace or fix it under the usual warranty.

10. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

lol....u mean hold it close to ur face? right?? :D

11. AXs thread starter macrumors 6502a

AXs

put it next to my face lol

But in seriousness, thanks for all the feedback guys. I just came back from the store and I got my refund! It wasn't easy they wouldn't take the heating up crap though it was true, and they said they would send it in to get fixed rather than replacing it. Went as far as calling the manager.

So i reminded them they installed 3.0 illegally for me cause the day after I was under the impression it should've come with the latest software (mine was 2.2). I initially thought they would install it for me free from apple but I found out they got it from some 'other site' which makes it illegal.

So after I said that, I got my refund! woohoo. cash back to credit in 15 days, then I'll get the new touch! twice the memmory for the same price! (even lesS)

Thanks once again guys, bless you all. Happy appling!