New iPod Touch 4G - What to test for?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldCorpse, Nov 9, 2010.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I just received my new iPod Touch 4G from Amazon.

Before I get too attached to it or load up too much personal stuff, I'd like to test it, to make sure I didn't get a lemon. The sooner I find out if I need to send it back for a replacement, the better. I did the exact same thing when I bought my 27" iMac earlier this year (fortunately, my iMac was perfect :)).

So. What should I look for, and what should I test?

Based partially on what I read here, I think I should test this so far:

1)Dead pixels - Is there a best way to test this? (for the iMac there's a little app that does the test).

2)Uneven screen illumination - I suppose I should just eyeball it, once I get to a uniform color screen...

3)Light leaks around the various buttons and top of screen - I'd guess going into a dark room and turning the brightness all the way and looking at it from the side etc.

4)Camera doesn't focus properly (misaligned) - take a photo of something like bar codes, and then enlarge it and see if it is in focus

Testing the battery is not immediately practical, but down the road...

Anyhow, anything else I should be looking for? Thanks!

2. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

My suggestion would be to just use it. You'll notice something is wrong if it doesn't work right.

3. firelol222 macrumors newbie

check if there is any clicking sound when recording with wifi on

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, so far no clicking on video/wifi, pixels or light leaks etc.

BUT, I'm unsure about the camera... I don't seem to be able to take sharp pictures of bar codes... of course, that could be user error, but the camera seems extremely poor quality... I'm going to the Apple store anyway in a few days, I'll take it with me and ask if that's normal.

6. tablo13, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

See if the screen is flush. Looks like my screen isn't flush(have a light leak too). I can hear the squeaking when pushing down the screen with I have a case on.

7. BASRification macrumors member

I have a creaking front panel too. However, I don't have any light leaks. I can just hear and slightly see the panel move when I apply pressure around the front-facing camera. I'm still on the fence on whether to exchange it or not. It doesn't seem to be that bad but hopefully the problem does not get worse.

8. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

There is probably nothing wrong with the camera. It is really low quality when you take pictures nothing even close to the iPhone 4.