New iPod touch 6th gen is FASTER than iPhone 6!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Jul 17, 2015.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Benchmarks aside, the iPod touch 6th is faster than the supposedly superior iPhone 6! Check out this video and scrub to the 4 minute mark:

2. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Most important is that it is a vast upgrade to the 5th gen and the same price.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I agree. People should be comparing the 6th generation to the 5th generation and not to the iPhone 6.

It's probably the biggest upgrade the iPod touch has ever gotten, at least in terms of internals (externally, the 5th generation was the biggest upgrade). But I would argue that the 6th generation is the best ever in terms of value.

4. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You're right, of course. But come on, admit it: you're shocked the lil' ol' iPod 6th Gen. is faster than an iPhone 6, amirite? I mean, after all the negative comments about how the touch's A8 processor is choked, I was surprised to see how it shamed the Phone in real-life performance.

5. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Now I seriously regret getting the iPhone 6 Plus :(

6. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I'll admit that I'm a little shocked it beat the iPhone 6, but if you think about it, it almost makes sense. The iPhone is processing a lot more info and the cpu has to push more pixels across a bigger display.

7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Not sure why. Everyone knows the 6 Plus pushes the most pixels. Unless you think an iPod Touch can replace an iPhone, I don't really see a reason to regret it. The result would be the same if it was using an A9 processor vs the upcoming 6S.

It's like knowingly buying a 4K display for your GTX 980 then complaining that the other guy is getting better frame rates on his GTX 970 with a 1080p display.

8. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I thought he was joking.

9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Of course it could have been cheaper off contract but still to this day isn't so I did not gain any coin waiting.

10. tyche macrumors 6502

Those benchmark numbers are insane. I'm still using my 4g Touch which is about half as fast as the 5th.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It really does not matter to me how it compares to the iPhone 6, I would not purchase an IPT 5th gen now given its specs regardless I would only use it for music.

Once the new one came out, I was there at the store day 1 as soon as it opened. I wanted a gold one, the store reps never saw it up close and personal until I unboxed mine. Now I have some bragging rights as well cause how many people have one? :)

12. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Imagine how fast a Samsung S6 would be if the resolution matched the iPhone 6 or 6 plus. Apple is keeping the resolution lower than the competition and I agree with that practice. A good quality 1080p panel at 5.5" is the right ballance. By 2016 when the resolution increases again the gpu will be much more powerful.
    Resolution has a real impact on performance. If you go high you got to make sure the GPU can handled it. Imagine if Apple does a 4" iPhone with the same GPU as the iPhone 6s with no decrease in clock speed or ram. That phone would be the fastest. I would buy it.

13. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I agree 100 percent! A lot of people don't realize how taxing it is on the CPU and GPU to push all these pixels. Plus android phones with these quad HD displays need HUGE batteries and still get the same or less battery life than Apple products! Honestly, the resolution on the 6 /6+ and the iPad Airs mad minis are perfect. You can't count any pixels, they are sharp, and colors look great! The best thing is they don't use any more power (battery AND the CPU/GPU) than they need.

14. iStiggy macrumors member

It would be closer to comparing 1440p display vs a 1080p display. The 6 Plus would be a 2k display.