Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rappar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Canada
I held off a purchase of the iPod Touch until after Apple added the camera. My understanding from reading posts is that the camera used in the Touch is nowhere near as good as that used in the new iPhone. It, from what I understand is more for video and will take stills but has not got the features found in the iPhone. An example is the iPhone will take HDR photos, but the camera in the Touch will not.
Am I going to be disappointed in the camera in the new Touch when I compare it to pictures a friend takes with his new iPhone or is it reasonable?
Thanks

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I held off a purchase of the iPod Touch until after Apple added the camera. My understanding from reading posts is that the camera used in the Touch is nowhere near as good as that used in the new iPhone. It, from what I understand is more for video and will take stills but has not got the features found in the iPhone. An example is the iPhone will take HDR photos, but the camera in the Touch will not.
Am I going to be disappointed in the camera in the new Touch when I compare it to pictures a friend takes with his new iPhone or is it reasonable?
Thanks

You've got to think of them strictly as "fun" cameras and FaceTime cameras. If you expect any more from them you will be left frustrated and annoyed. For snapping quick shots to stick up on Facebook, they are fine. I even find the HD video a little grainy, and definitely does not look as good as the iPhone 4's HD video. But again, for fun, and for entertainment purposes, it's good.

The three F's of the new touch's cams... Facebook, Fun, and FaceTime. Nothing more, nothing less.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
it really does has hdr it's just not built in as a feature ......yet

but there's a app that gives the ipod 4g hdr ability (it's called "true hdr" for $2) all you do is take a pic, go to the app and select the same pic 2 times to make it HDR, works really well...heres some original vs hdr pics i took with the 4g

original

w41o2.jpg

HDR

21ecb44.jpg

original

2drgy8i.jpg

HDR

2ura1br.jpg

original

160dhxx.jpg

hdr

27yof3t.jpg

original

2meveyp.jpg

HDR

hte6br.jpg

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
Highlights are still blown, shadows have about the same detail. That's not HDR, you could get the same effect in Levels, etc. But if you like it, more power to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.