New iPod Touch! Feeling exposed..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by trnce.lam, Nov 5, 2008.

1. trnce.lam macrumors newbie

Hey dudes!

Just received my new ipod touch today! My first ever apple product :D Really Happy...since I was going to get an imac as well (waiting since summer)..but then apple issued that statement....hmm nvm

Anyways just wondering what are your views on the best way of protecting my new baby? haha

I was thinking :

invisibleSHIELD™ for the Apple iPod touch 2nd Gen (Skin)

WITH either

RebelTouch For iPod Touch 2G

or

Griffin iClear

--------

or are there better/easier installing skins/films or cases out there? which look good ;)
    and I've heard mixed reviews about the Rebel Touch...ilounge gave it D+ :confused: but it looks like the best one out there....

Anyways if you could give any advice that would be helpful and i would be very greatful :) ...but i bet ur all sick and tired of threads like these :p

Thanks,

Terence

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

actually i have the rebel touch, and it came with a screen guard, so the invisible shield will prly not be nesisary

btw great case!

3. Dudeman486 macrumors member

i highly recommend the invisible shield, or some other clear-plastic film.

What i have found most protective for my ipods are actually leather cases. it may not look like it, but they have fantastic impact-absorption, and while they are not crush-proof, they look really nice and protect the ipod very well.

4. trnce.lam thread starter macrumors newbie

I really did have my heart set on the rebel touch until i saw the d+. but yea with the screen protector that comes with it..i heard the quality of the film isn't as good as a invisble shield...and if i do get a rebel touch...then if i get an invisible sheild to cover the back as well ..will the rebel touch completely screw up the back? and it doesn't add much bulk does it?

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

The Rebel Touch is really nice.

Don't listen to iLounge.

6. M. Poirot macrumors member

I have tried several cases and have finally settled on the incase slider. It's soooo thin and enhances the look of the iPod touch. It's a bit more expensive but really worth it.
    I combine it with the PowerSupport crystal screen film. Again a little more expensive than other lesser films but it is the easiest to apply and looks great.

7. acedew macrumors member

I'm just wondering, why do people put screen protectors on their Touches? I had a film on my iPod Video because that screen was plastic and scratched if you just looked at it wrong, but the Touch is glass, right? I mean, I've seen some youtube and web reviews that indicated it would take a lot of force to scratch the screen of the Touch...so much so that you'd probably end up breaking through one of the screen protectors anyway. The back scratches easily, but I don't care about the back, because you can't see it when I'm using it anyway, my hand covers it. Is there some other benefit to using a screen protector? Is it more resistant to fingerprint smudges or something?

I love using my Touch without a case, but I almost dropped it on cement yesterday, so I'm starting to get a little nervous. Does anyone know the thickness of the Rebel Touch compared to the Incase Slider (incase is 1mm, right)?

8. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I'll second this. I've kept my Touch in a case that protects the back and sides from day one, but I've never worried about the front. I take the thing with me everywhere, and the only thing that happens to the glass front is it gets smudged. Clean it, and it's like new again. I don't think there's any harm in using a 'screen protector', but I think the benefit is small.

Incidentally, if you plan on keeping your Touch in a form-fitting case, rather than applying a self-adhesive protector (such as Invisible Shield, Bodyguardz, etc), I would still recommend protecting the back with some kind of stick on, removeable abrasion protection like a few pieces of painter's tape (the removeable blue or green kind). I've always kept my touch in a case, but the back still shows a little bit of scuffing here and there where it has rubbed on the inside of the case (and that gets worse if any dust or other abrasive debris gets in there).

9. biikman macrumors regular

I use one because my wife and 8 yr old daughter both use it, and when I get it back it would be smudged up real good and videos would looks blurry. I love the powersupport crystal screen. I rarely have to wipe it off and it seems easier to use the 2 finger expand/shrink feature. All just my opinion though.

10. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

i Agree with above...

get the invisible shield for the back of your ipod, and the crystal film for the front. it is like wrapping it in the tighten skin, that protects it from all scratching. if you feel the need, it can go in a case as well. with this everything works and keeps your ipod beautiful.

11. trnce.lam thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey dudes thanks for the advice...

i think i'm gonna go for powersupport crystal ...just because its easier to install...however i haven't really seen any pics of the back film.

but i'm a bit worried..will there be a build up of dirt around the edge of the film...or is that envitable?

and invisibleshield just seems a hassle. is the back really that worth it?

Then i'm gonna buy a Switcheasy rebeltouch :D but stoopid delievery timess :( like 1-2 weeks. nvm

Thanks guys, my baby will be wrapped up nice and warm for the winter months! haha wierdo. Peace out

12. M. Poirot macrumors member

No there's no build up of gunk around the edges. The Power Support crystals are cleverly held on by static so there's no adhesive to keep any dust on them. Just occasionaly rub the iPod with the little black cloth that came with it and you'll keep it in mint condition.

The back film is cleverly cut accomodating the WiFi Tx/Rx antenae.

13. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Do not buy the power support film. mine scratched in a week. Buy a Best Skins Ever very easy instillation and buy a Griffin iClear thats what i got. Also buy the Apple Socks they will keep it nice and warm mine are coming this week.