New iPod Touch = iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry20larry, Jul 12, 2009.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I was thinking, the iPod Touch is so much like the iPhone, having just switched from one to a 3GS, the main difference for me was internet everywhere.
    I was thinking, that the new iPod Touch could actually be an iPhone, cause lets face it, the iPod touch is the odd ball in the iPod family.
    Rumors are going about how the new iPods could have cameras, which begs the question how similar will apple make the iTouch to the iPhone.
    I was think that maybe in the next release we could see the rebirth of the iPhone with edge, 2meg camera etc but being sold like an iPod, ie, not contract and you can choose whether you have a sim in it or not.
    I also think this will lead to the discontinuation of the 3G.
    Thoughts?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't see why they would do this, when the 8GB iPhone 3G is already the value-priced option..

The iPod touch has pretty much been for people who want an iPhone but can't/don't want to sign up for AT&T or the designated wireless carrier for the iPhone in a particular area. It pretty much has everything but SMS and voice calls.

There is also the bit about the fact that major OS upgrades cost $10 or for iPod touch users. But that's apparently on account of the fact that Apple isn't getting ongoing revenue from those devices otherwise.

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

yes but people can avoid those upgrade costs so easily by simply finding the itouches .Ipsw and shift/command restore.

4. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

But Apple tries to scare their customers into not doing that by voiding the warranty. Pretty useless since a restore fixes this.

5. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

The iPod Touch will never be sold as a phone because, like it was already stated, it's for customers who do not want to pay for/deal with wireless service/want to keep their own phone. What carrier do you expect to provide Edge service for free? And wouldn't Apple just use the 3.0 MP camera that they bought tons of for the 3GS in the new iPod Touch if it were to have a camera?

6. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I don't think you understand:
    The device would be sold with a Sim card slot, but nothing in it, so no contract, no ATT or O2: you can put the sim from any other mobile in and get the minutes/texts/data from that sim

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Then what in the wourld would be the point of the iphone then? Eberyone would just get an iPod Touch!

What you are describing is an unlocked iphone...

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

ATT may consider that another Iphone and balk at their loss of exclusivity.

9. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

The inferior specs, 2 meg camera, edge etc
    I agree though, it would mix things up, i hate exclusivity, it means no competition therefore high prices.

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That's a lot of wasted money spent on SIM card interfaces and GSM radios for all those that would elect not to use it as a phone. Plus then you wouldn't have a 64GB iPod Touch which will most likely come with the next hardware refresh due to all that extra phone related hardware taking up space that a second flash memory chip could be using.

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No I do not think they would turn the iPod touch into an iPhone. People want to have all of the capabilities of the iPhone without paying monthly fees. The iPod touch is far from an "odd ball" in the iPod lineup. It bridges the gap between iPhone and iPod. I'm kind of confused as to why you would think that Apple would do away with the touch and turn it into another iPhone? Doesn't make much sense.

12. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Does it really? Then how come Blackberries cost the same on all carriers and their plans are pretty much the same too?

Verizon's and AT&T's Blackberry data plans are within $1 of each other.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't see this happening.

The touch is the future because of the App store. The touch provides a venue for individuals to have a touch device without the cost or contract of the iPhone.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'm thinking that you may have forgotten that the iPhone has a phone?

15. lavinci macrumors 6502

I never knew iPod was spelled the same way as iPhone.:eek:

16. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

That sounds like an original iPhone to me, and last time I checked, they were sold for 400 for 8 gigs. Although it was exclusive, that iPhone was easily hackable and easily unlockable.

17. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I don't think the OP gets that. That's the point of the of the touch.

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The iPod touch is NOT an iPhone. End of story.

19. frunze macrumors member

Come again? How do you do that? I am so peeved about the $10 cost that I've not upgraded the Touch yet. It's not the cost, it's the general principle - I own a 3GS, so Apple already gave me the 3.0 once - right? Anyhow - can you tell me how to do this thing you've just said?
    Thanks!