New iPod Touch - Lag?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EnzoAmata, Mar 14, 2012.

1. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I just bought a 4th gen - iPod Touch. I'm use to using the iPhone 4S so I assume the iPod isn't going to be as responsive but I'm getting what seems like pretty bad lag, eg.

I listen to music and switch to the Twitter and try then open a link - it'll take what seems like more than an acceptable amount of time to render the graphics inside the twitter app not to mention lag switching screens to then load and render the website.

Anyone else getting this or is it just that I've became so accustomed to the speeds of iPhone 4S?

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I think you're too used to a 4S. Keep in mind that generation iPod Touch isn't even as fast as the iPhone 4, so..

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if you're used to the 4S you're going to be REALLY disappointed with the ipod touch.

I had a 4th gen Touch and got the 4S when it came out. There really is no comparison.

Purely out of curiosity (I realize it's completely your business), but why did you feel a need for an ipod touch if you have a 4S?

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I noticed this lag when I had my iPhone 4 and iPod touch. It was annoying but I dealt with it. Now that I have a 4S I notice it even more.

5. Feltzem macrumors regular

Considering that the 4G iPod touch is a current Apple product, I think it's one of their worst. The new iPad is perfectly smooth and has great great battery life, while the same can be said of the 4S and all of their computers. Whereas my iPod touch, even after a restore, lags horribly and has terrible battery life of about 2 hours.

It's probably also their worst designed product, the metal back doesn't look good and attracts scratches.

I'm hoping they'll fix these problems with the 2012 iPod touch, but I'm not holding out much hope since they didn't even bother updating it last year and their iOS focus is on the iPhone and iPad (understandably).

6. Rennir macrumors 6502

Speaking of which (somewhat off topic), I question the future of the iPod touch. Most people who want music/entertainment devices that are also super portable choose the iPhone (unless they happen to dislike iOS/Apple, at which point they wouldn't buy an iPod Touch anyways), which does exactly what the iPod Touch does and also a bit more. So what exactly do people need a Touch for? If it's solely for storing and listening to music, the old iPod Classic does a much better job because it stores a lot more songs and its built well, not to mention better battery life.

7. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Well not everyone wants an iPhone. Android users who want to play around with iOS might also want an iPod touch. The iPod touch is a very powerful gateway drug for Apple. It is very important and I agree that I should be updated. The current product doesn't leave a very good impression, especially with iOS 5 lagging terribly on it. My new iPad and iPhone 4S are silky smooth, but as previously said, the iPod touch is laggy and just plain unenjoyable to use.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Odds are they didn't improve the internals because of cost. They could keep manufacturing the iPod touch with the current internals for two years and save a good amount of money. Yes, it can be slow but it's still a capable device. If yours only has two hours of battery I would get it exchanged (if under warranty) as it's likely not an iOS issue but a battery issue.