new ipod touch not shipping with 3.0 software?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Adros, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Adros macrumors member

My girlfriend just got a new ipod touch for free with the rebate when you buy a new computer, and it arrived with the 2.2.1 software installed... I get that apple wants old customers to pay for the upgrade, but it seems ridiculous to expect customers buying a new touch to pay for an upgrade when it should be shipping with the current software...

Have other people had this happen, or is it just a mistake and if we take it to the apple store and prove date of purchase they will allow a free upgrade?

2. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

My brother just bought one the other day and he was upset that 3.0 is not installed.

But, if Apple installs 3.0 in new 2G iPod Touches, then, Apple must let all the 2G owners download 3.0 for free.

I would understand charging $10 for an OS upgrade if Apple buys the OS from someone else, but since Apple makes its own OS, I believe it could be given for free. (Oooooh I hear fanboys clamoring to defend APPLE. :rolleyes:)

Or, I'd settle for $5. :D

3. celticpride678

It is not an issue. No iPods will come with 3.0 until the 3rd Gen in September.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

They don't update existing iPods until the next release. Same thing last time. You have to pay the $10 if you want it.