New iPod Touch off of eBay

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macandipodfan, Mar 30, 2008.

1. macandipodfan macrumors member

I am considering buying an iPod Touch. I see I can get a refurb one from the Apple Store for around $245. But, that doesn't include the software update, so that would put the price up to $265.
    I can get a brand new one off of eBay for $220 + $20 for the software update.
    Should I consider one off of eBay? If you need warranty service from Apple, do you have to have the original receipt or just the serial number?

2. LAPTOP GAMER macrumors newbie

I would be very carful buying off E bay as this is a real hot item and the rip offs are out there, just approach with caution.

3. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

As long as the feedback for the user your buying from is a solid %, you should be okay. Just make sure they have at least 100 feedback, and that should be as close to 100% as possible. If there are any negative feedback to push that percentage down, read the negative feedback to see why. Most times, if it is unreasonable negative feedback, the person will have replied to it to challenge the person who left it and explain what happened. I bought my 16GB iPod Touch off of eBay in December and got it for just over $300, and it was in perfect working order when I got it. eBay is a great place to buy things like this, you just have to be cautious as to whom your buying from.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I just bought a 32GB Touch on ebay for $430 (shipped), an awesome deal if you ask me, but I was wondering what your warranty status shows on Apple's website. What is the warranty start date?

5. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I'd be happy to tell you if you could tell me how to do it. I have never known how to to but known that it is possible for a while now.

Edit: Just found it it says it will expire on October 21, 2008.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

ebay is hit or miss. I have bought a lot of great stuff on ebay. Make sure its new and not refurbished as some sellers will sell refurbished as new. Personally I wouldn't buy one there. I would rather pay regular price and have peace of mind. What if you buy one that is faulty, can you return it?

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Why buy the friggin' software update? Jailbreaking accomplishes the same thing, plus more, for $free.99

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

And why use the checkout counters at the store when you could just walk out the front door?