New iPod touch owner... have some questions.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tangledweb16, Apr 13, 2008.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

OK, so three or so months ago I had my iPhone stolen, and to make up for it I bought myself an iPod touch about three weeks ago. It came with the new firmware, so I didn't have to pay the 20$ bucks (thank god). Anyway, I was wondering when the iPod touch got the iPhone dock. The touch's dock used to be reflective, and I liked it. Now it look just like my old iPhones dock. Can someone clear this up for me?

It's weird, I've been out of the loop since my iPhone was stolen, and I guess I missed the news of the new firmware changing the appearance of the UI. Thanks guys :D

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Yea they changed it with the new firmware. Its a shame as the original dock I thought looked the best, would love to have that dock!!

3. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Are there any theories as to why?

I still am surprised that I didn't hear about this though, I check sites like this pretty often. I guess it wasn't news worthy.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, thank God for jailbreaking. The iPhone-style dock is ugly compared to the Leopard-style reflective design that the iPod sported.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Their reasoning probably had to do something with full pages of apps. If you've got four rows and a dock, the reflective one wouldn't really show a difference between every other row.

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

it changed with 1.1.3 I do believe
    I put the reflective dock back, the iPhone one is ghastly

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I've had my Touch 3 weeks now and haven't a CLUE as to what you are talking about. Maybe I'm just in a bad mental block, but I'm lost.

Four rows and a dock? Reflective?

Huh?

Any help is appreciated :)

Mike

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Go to the "home" screen (the black background with the icons for all the different apps).

The very bottom row of icons (by default it will have the music, photos, videos and iTunes icons) is the dock; originally these icons were 'sitting' on what looked like a piece of glass, just like the dock on OSX Leopard. Beginning with firmware 1.1.3 (the one you have to at least have to get the five new apps), this was replaced with a silver metal-like dock identical to that of the iPhone.

9. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to get the reflective one back and have the reflection actually work? (A way that when you move icons around, the reflection changes).