New iPod touch owners...screens?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cjmal, Nov 10, 2007.

1. cjmal macrumors 6502

I wanted to know if anyone who's recently bought an iPod touch (week 42 and up) have had any problems with their screens such as the negative effect? I ask because I may ask apple to replace my iphone with an ipod, since i've been having problems with the iphone. Thanks.

2. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen a report since week 38. It appears you're safe with a week 39 or newer.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I have been through a strikingly 7 iPod touches, none of them having the negative black effect, but all of them having stuck pixels. Does the perfect screen even exist?

5. caubeck macrumors 6502

Week 38, bought in Spain.

No problems at all of any kind.

Unjailbroken, 1.1.2

6. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

7. JoshJosh117, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It's odd, I've had to return/exchange 2 units for various reasons (both were older units with less than perfect blacks), but I've never had a stuck/dead pixel on any unit. But I have heard of other people with pixel problems, obviously it can happen with any LCD screen.

I have a week 41 that is essentially perfect, a joy to watch videos on.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Can we trade? lol

I'm considering e-mail apple about this or calling them - and if they think I am just kidding, I have seven exchange bills to back it up! They really need to get their QC in canada up to par...

Turn the brightness of your iPod up. Load up a completely black screen. Tilt the unit, and as you do so, indulge yourself in the green-stuck pixel graveyard! I'm not joking, one of the units I had must have had 100 of them!

10. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I just got my iPod touch yesterday and I'm using it right now. The screen is perfect and its really flawless. Typing on this keyboard I'd much faster then I expected too. The only problem I have is that sometimes the screen doesn't rotate but other than that it's great.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Make sure your Touch is vertical when you rotate. If you try to rotate it when it's too flat (parallel to the ground), it won't rotate (it shouldn't, since just walking around would then rotate your screen.)

12. Clear macrumors newbie

I got mine last week. It shipped with v1.1.1 firmware and has no problems at all.

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I know others have said that when they view a dark screen with 100% brightness, they can see a lot of gray pixels (maybe due to blacklight reflections or something.)

But my screen really looks just about perfect. Hopefully you can get one just as good as mine, I doubt units sold in different geographic regions should differ since they are all coming from the same place!

14. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I have a week 38 iPod touch and there are 2 stuck pixels, but I'm not OCD and it doesn't bother me at all since they are near the edges of the screen. Overall loving the beautiful screen. ^.^

15. samberger macrumors newbie

I have a week 37 that worked fine, albeit with a bit of a dark screen. 1.1.1 helped with that, but 1.1.2 seems to have improved it even more. Dark screen is a thing of the past. Colors are vibrant, and things look great. So if you haven't upgraded to 1.1.2, it's highly recommended.

16. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Week forty. No problems.

Oddly enough, I bought my iPod touch in the 39th week of the year...:eek:

17. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

week 39

Week 39 works fine. No negative effect.

Im glad because my old touch had a dead pixel and negative effected screen good thing I took it back and got a new one.

18. bpwicker macrumors newbie

week 41

I had a week 39 with a bad pixel....took it back same day. Had to wait 2 weeks for them to get more in. Got a week 41 no dead pixels and no negative black screen. Tried the Jay-Z pic and it looks great.
    Did not buy from apple because you must have 3 dead pixels to get an exchange.

19. RyanG macrumors 6502

Just noticed last night that mine has a cluster of dead pixels, with some scattered across the side. Black scenes in videos look like ****. It's a week 40 with 1.1.2. Have a service request pending as of today.

20. ClassicFan macrumors member

ClassicFan

I have had my week 38 for a little over a week. I noticed that on album covers the images have this weird distortion and the album cover for songs that have none (The one in coverflow) the bottom is a curved black and the gradient looks really messy in it. I don't think that it could be the screen but maybe the firmware.

21. Remixen macrumors member

****! I just discovered that i have a week 38 ipod (because the serial numbef starts with the week number right?) even thoug i bought it in october:(

What to do?

The screen is awfull in black areas

22. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

How do I know what week mine is? is it the first 2 digits in the serial (42)? Mine looks good so far.

23. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Flawless screen here (w 40). Wish I could say the same for the audio though... with good headphones on you hear a huge amount of idle noise that you wouldn't expect on this side of 8-bit Soundblaster cards circa 1992...

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I got a week 39 that came with 1.1, when I updated to 1.1.1 it mucked up the quality of the screen. Its got a very little bit of negative black but mostly everything looks bad quality for some reason, you can see little dots on the black parts of the screen... I've also got a lighter line all around the Earth on that default globe background...

25. beavc macrumors newbie

Try converting at high quality using Isquint...the black portion looked alright as compared to ripping in standard....