New iPod touch Performance Benchmarks

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by csnplt, Sep 12, 2009.

1. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

So, I like everyone else here, am curious to see exactly how much faster than the old iPod touch the new one is, and whether it can compete with the 3GS for things like web browsing, app launching, etc.

Apparently, it even has a newer processor than the 3GS, so maybe it has an even higher clock speed enabled.

So, I wrote a performance benchmark called Gauge Mathematical Tool, which functions like Geekbench, XBench, or PCMark in terms of use, and stresses the CPU, Graphics, RAM and chipset, and SSD. So it's a well-rounded benchmark that should give a result applicable to App launching times, web browsing times, and gaming performance.

Here is the link to the iTunes Store, and the app is only 99 cents, so no promos for now:) (It also has some neat other tools like a Pi calculator / approximator, Mandelbrot Fractal renderer and explorer, and prime number generator, hence the mathematical name):

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=324905769&mt=8

So, what I'd love to see, would be some people who have various generations of devices posting their scores in this forum (on the first tab, click run test, wait a minute, and then post the score)

So maybe, a few people with:
    -iPod touch 1G
    -iPhone EDGE
    -iPod touch 2G
    -iPhone 3G
    -iPod touch 2009 / 3G NEW
    -iPhone 3GS

could post the scores, and we'll have a nice performance data base for the new devices.

OK, so here is 1 promo code to get us started:D
    TFK67JFFWRLJ
    (just click redeem in upper left of iTunes store main page, and enter this code)

Thanks, guys, I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens (and I also predict that the new touch is more than 50 % faster, since it has the new graphics of the iPhone 3GS, which are much superior to the old).

note to mods: I know there might be a thread dedicated to promo code giveaways or shameless advertisements, but since this relates to the new iPod touch, I think this is the best place for it.

2. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

No one? I did post a promo code, so you can get it free. Please, someone with an iPod touch 3G 32 GB or 64 GB, run the test and post your score here. It only takes one minute.

Thanks

3. thefatmould macrumors member

I would love to but i am in NZ and we cannot redeem promo codes and i don't get the new touch until wednesday~.

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Please, somebody try this out! We need a benchmark for the 3G!

You shouldn't have posted that promo code BTW. I'm sure some guest has already taken it.

5. thefatmould macrumors member

Yeah they probably have and i am sure there are people out there that already have this app who would love to test there new device and post here along with any results from older devices.

6. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

That's ok. I found someone somewhere else who will run the test for me, and when I get the result, I'll post it here. It turns out, for now, the version in the App Store doesn't exactly handle the iPod touch 3G in the best way, but I've built a new version that I'll be sending to the App Store as an update. If any of you are still interested, PM me your device's UDID, and I'll send you the new version via Ad Hoc build.

Thanks for your interest!

7. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

OpenGL ES 2.0

Nice!!!!! Even if it's not significantly faster, it's cool to see that the new touch has the upper hand in power compared to the 3GS. Probably due to the lack of network connection (?). Thanks for sharing, Chris.

8. McBeats macrumors 6502a

9. hajime macrumors 68030

10. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I don't see why it should although sometimes device after device of the same model, despite capacity, may vary... slightly. I can't wait to compare my benchmarks myself soon. I will be getting the 64gb and I currently have 2 32gb touches from both past generations. Although I have to wait for the next paycheck at the end of the month to endulge on a $400 bill. :mad:

Once again, thanks for the link. Saw the iLounge video test yesterday and this further confirmed the speed upperhand against the 3GS.

11. DocDoom macrumors regular

12. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

Keep in mind that that specific benchmark only focuses on object allocation. In real use, the new iPod touch is not going to be anywhere near 5 times faster than the older models. That's why I don't really like this application for a benchmark.

The version that I wrote is not an accurate benchmark right now for the iPod touch 3G, at least the version in the App Store now is not, but I have a new version that is much more accurate, and I've submitted it for review by Apple. Once it's approved, I think that it will be a better test to use, because it has a much more realistic use pattern algorithm, I think.

Right now, I have a couple of testers working with me, and I have their results here:

http://www.cocoslive.net/game-scores?gamename=Gauge Mathematical Tool

An important note is this: The tester with the iPhone 3GS, which received a score of 186 recorded this score after a reboot. Before a reboot, the score was 156, exactly the same as one of the passes for the iPod touch 3G. So a reboot affects the test because it allows the CPU to spend all of the time calculating only the benchmark processes, and allows a higher score. The device that got a 79 is my iPod touch 1G.

By the way, if you have an iPhone 3G or iPhone 2G, or any other device, and you want to try the new version of my benchmark, I could build you an Ad hoc distribution copy and send it to you. Just PM me your device UDID and I'll get on it.