New iPod touch price.... $200?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by natezire71, Aug 15, 2008.

1. natezire71 Guest

Does anybody think the new iPod touch prices could be $200?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I don't think so, just because the iPhone is priced due to a subsidy. Also, no contract required for the touch.

3. natezire71 thread starter Guest

I'm selling my Old iPod touch for $200, so I'm hoping I could buy one for that price.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

haha
    yeah, that's likely to happen

6. natezire71 thread starter Guest

Well...

Then what do you think the LOWEST price might be for a new one? Just forget about the memory, think of the price. For all we know, Apple might drop the 8gb and replace it with the 16gb, and introduce a higher capacity.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I do not think that there will be, and I really wish that people would use the search function, here is what I found from a search that you could have done:

Thread Link

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think the most the price could drop would be $50. Good luck selling a year old iPod for the price of a brand new one. (Nice logic!)

9. natezire71 thread starter Guest

I'm gonna laugh when they do sell it for $200.

Whatever.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

and why would apple do that? It's not like the iPod touch can be subsidized like the iPhone.

I bet you were one of the people who believed that Apple had hidden another camera in the iPhone 3G and for some reason didn't tell people it was there.

11. natezire71 thread starter Guest

Not really... I didn't even know somebody thought that. Whoever did, was stupid. Seriously....

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I could say the same about those who think Apple will drop the price of the iPod touch and get rid of the 8GB model. A 16GB iPod touch for $200? Yeah... that won't cut into iPod nano sales.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

... nice come back, that makes your argument seem very well thought out.

14. natezire71 thread starter Guest

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Spoken in the words of a true 10 year old. :rolleyes:

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

On the original question: Yes, but it's unlikely. Memory prices have come down enough in the last year to make the Touch cheaper to build. Apple could also have the circuit components condensed onto one chip. There is a larger market for touchscreens, so they may be getting cheaper.

I think Apple will instead keep the prices the same, but move the memory capacity up at each price point. They may also throw in some additional hardware (bluetooth, GPS?) to justify keeping prices where they are. If the Touch gets cheaper, then every other iPod below it has to get cheaper too. Very unlikely Apple will let that happen. It's more likely they'll do the "shuffle". They lowered the price on the 1gig shuffle and introduced a 2gig version at the previous 1gig price. You might be able to buy an 8gb Touch for $249, with the 16gb Touch moving to $299, 32gb moving to $399, and perhaps a 48gb or 64gb version taking the top spot.

Time will tell.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

48GB? as in 16+32? That's unlikely, for the storage system to operate properly the chip sizes must be equal capacity.

19. 215512 Guest

Gps

It will be very interesting to see if they add GPS. I hope they do and I hope they don't. The government will be tracking every iPod Touch out there.

20. Zieg3rman macrumors member

Just give me your ipod then. I would gladly take it off you hands. Then you won't have to sell it and worry if you can buy a newer(arguably better) ipod for the same price. On second thought, don't get so upset. Be grateful for what you have.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Doubt it.

At this price, it would cut into the Nano sales.

My guess, same price points but with more memory. So instead of 8, 16, and 32, we'll see 16, 32 and 64 models at the same prices.

The word paranoid comes to mind. ;)

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Not necessarily. It wouldn't take much to add support for non-matched pairs. If the costs for 2x32 is close to being profitable but not close enough, 48GB could easily carry them over through the holidays at the $500 price point.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's not like they just 'add support' for it. There are a lot of issues with why that won't work.