New iPod Touch shows up as a camera?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cottonjenn, Sep 25, 2009.

1. cottonjenn macrumors member

Okay, just bought the new 32GB Touch. I connect to my computer like I do with my other iPod. iTunes doesn't read it but an Adobe Photoshop starter program pops up and in the My Computer, it shows as a camera. I close out of the Adobe and let it stay connected hoping iTunes will read it, but it doesn't. I now have it charging with an adapter even though the battery looked almost full. I cannot tell if it is even charging, the battery isn't flashing like on my old iPod. I'm pretty sure my iTunes is 8.1 if that makes a difference but the Adobe Photoshop has me really confused. If I can't figure this out tonight I'll have to call Apple tomorrow.
    Does anyone have a clue what is happening?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If it's a new iPod, you'll need iTunes 9 or later which is why you're not seeing it in iTunes 8.1.

All iPod touches identify as cameras - they can have images from websites and emails etc. saved to the camera roll in the Photos app. To get these images off you'll need to identify as a camera to the software on your machine which is what the iPod touch does.

3. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Well for one, you need to upgrade to iTunes 9.0.1.

4. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

Okay I'll try the update, thanks for the help.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

lol. You repeated what the other guy said :p

6. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I posted when there we no comments. Then I got sidetrack and forgot to hit "Submit Reply."

On-topic.
    When I plugged in my 3G Touch, it prompted me to update to iTunes 9.0.1

7. hugoleveille macrumors member

Pretty ironic that your new ipod is seen as a camera.....

8. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Haha, no.
    My USB key comes up as a camera as well :/
    Actually, basically everything I plug in gets tipped off by an Adobe program.

9. cottonjenn thread starter macrumors member

Updated and now it worked like a charm. Of course all is not smooth. I'm now playing with having it accept my password for my router. It's telling me it's incorrect. I'll have to play around. But thanks again for your help.

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i do believe the older ones did the same as well.

11. Moocher macrumors regular

Touch launches iPhoto

When I plug in my new 64GB Touch iPhoto launches with an image of the front of the Touch in the window. It asks if I want to import images. I have not put any images except for normal album art on the iPod. If I quit iPhoto the Touch will sync with iTunes 9.0.1 just fine.

Strange.

Mooch

p.s. I found the answer in a thread and deleted the photo in the photos app. Supposedly that fixes the problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

12. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Just in case anyone else is having this problem, the iPod can take screenshots by holding down the home and sleep buttons simultaniously. This saves the current screen to your camera roll in Photos just as if you've taken a pic on an iPhone. When you connect back to a computer the iPod will identify itself as a camera to let you easily off-shore pictures. Just delete them and all will be well.

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Touch will also let you save photos attached to emails sent to you.