New iPod touch (so to speak)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by abacab63, Oct 4, 2011.

1. abacab63 macrumors newbie

Well, the news have been delivered. The 'new' iPod touch will be... white, and cheaper. (you can stop holding your breath now).

I won't even go in the FM tuner issue here. I just cringed when they said the iPod is the best music player.

This is relative. Yes the iPod is the better 'all around' device but in terms of audiophile-listening-device, the Cowon J3 is a far superior machine.

iPod touch ... R.I.P.

My condolences to everyone.

2. qwerty808 macrumors member

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They didn't mention anything at all about the Classic.

4. WLS, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

As usual Apple is not touting any spec improvements for the Touch. We usually have to wait weeks till we find out what's in it. When IfixIt gets one they will take it apart and tell us if there is an A5 in it or not but it probably doesn't.
    At this point it looks like the oleophobic coating and the sensor rumors are probably true and the white version and price cut to $199 for the 8GB rumors are clearly true. We will have to wait to find out if it has 512Meg memory or not too.
    we don't even know if Assistant runs on it. If it doesn't that means it has an A4 chip.
    PS the spec page is up and it says Bluetooth 2.1. I was really expecting at least an upgrade to BT 4.0. Camera is unchanged too.

Really disappointed in this.

5. Resplendent macrumors member

Guess I'll be holding on to my 2G for yet another year. Can't believe it's completely unchanged. So disappointed...

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Extremely disappointing. But clearly the non-smartphone smartdevice's days are numbered. It's shocking to me how they still throw around the "#1 gaming device" stat, put no processor upgrade in it, then throw out the iPhone 4S with it's new badass processor for gaming, that the iPod will not be able to match.

Sad.

I am shocked that they did nothing to upgrade the pathetic still camera in the touch, while going ahead and upping the iPhone to 8MP, and adding all the other features to it. What a slap in the face. lol.

7. qwerty808 macrumors member

I'd be happy saying "at least I can hand on to my 4G for another year"... if the battery wasn't ****ed.:rolleyes:

8. OldCorpse, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I have the iPod Touch 4G, and I'm generally happy with it, though there are a couple of areas I'm not happy at all. My wife wants one as well, simply as a reading device, but seeing as there is absolutely no change from the 4G, we're gonna pass and see if the Kindle Fire is not a better buy, once it comes out. For me, at a minimum, I wanted the iPod 5 to have this:

1)BETTER CAMERA!!!! This is my #1 complaint.

2)More memory. I still get "out of memory" messages and crashes on many apps.

3)Bigger HDD. If they're getting rid of the Classic, they should give an option for 128GB. My wife has a Classic, but it's getting long in the tooth, so we'd love to get an iPT, but with 64GB the biggest option, this will simply not do.

Of course, other stuff would be nice too, like an A5 chip etc., but the above 3 were my minimum. Without a better camera, I'm simply not interested in "upgrading".

I have to say, this iPod Touch update, 2011 has been a big:

***FAIL***

9. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Really disappointed too, just because it seems like Apple is letting things slide a bit. (Personally, I don't have a *need* for a faster, bigger Touch, but I can understand those that do, so I feel for you.) I'm guessing it's certain that the Touch doesn't have an upgraded processor or they would have made a bigger deal of what it could do - "and Siri will run on the iPod Touch, too," etc.

10. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I doubt assistant would run as it requires A5. I just want ifixit or someone else to crack it open and see if there are any internal upgrades.