New Ipod touch to release?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bmizz, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Bmizz macrumors member

I am about to go buy a 16Gb touch and I am wondering if apple is releasing a new version anytime soon? I don't want to buy one and a month later have them come out with a 30GB or something. Any help is much appreciated.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Wait two weeks and you'll find out. After Macworld you'll know if there's anything new coming out.

3. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

unless you are in the market to buy an iphone or a portable touch laptop type dealeo I would just go ahead and get it, the most they would do it update the flash to 32 gigs and likely jack the price with it but i dont see that happening till september. But you never know... I've only been following apple for 3 years now and am no expert.
    I got my touch two days ago and LOVE IT! seeing as my lappy

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Agreed. Whilst there may not be a new model but there might be a price cut.

5. Kkatyboo macrumors member

id be bummed if they released a 32g........ but still love my touch nonetheless :D

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

the last 3 iPod revs have been in sept so I presume the next touch will be in sept as usual

7. Bmizz thread starter macrumors member

The cash is burning a hole in my pocket and I want a touch now. My 30G classic is dying on me, got some black lines across the screen.

8. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I really dont think you have anything to worry about but if you can wait until January 14 then it might be for the best. But, as stated earlier, most iPod revisions happen in September.

9. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Indeed I'm looking at getting a 16gb touch myself and I'm waiting to see what might happen at macworld. I'm also very interested if they announce the sdk as well or still in feb and how much room it will allow for developers to make apps.

Right now I see the touch kind of pointless(even with hacks) over cheaper video/music players unless its fully opened up to devs by apple so they can do things like make an adium like native app for the iphone/touch. Also hoping they will add streaming audio support into itunes so I can listen to net radio over wifi.

10. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

My guess it that's we'll see a bump from 8GB > 16Gb and 16GB > 32GB, well that's what I'm hoping. I'm also hoping that we might see some application updates and games for the Touch as well.

11. tony Ramirez macrumors member

12. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wouldn't they jump to 24Gb 16+8 Gb chips? Just to be slightly cheaper, or not?

13. 667-75 macrumors newbie

well usually, and unlike hard drive storage capacity, the size of the chips (flash, ram, ...) just doubles: 2, 4, 8, 16gb...so the next steps should be 32gb for this year (16gb becoming the basic offer) and 64gb in a near future.

14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I know that but... since the current 16Gb model uses 2x 8Gb chips maybe teh next one could use 1x 16 and 2x 8 to make a cheaper model?

15. Bmizz thread starter macrumors member

If they do come out with a newer version with more gigs, etc. at the show, when will it be available in the stores?

16. Bmizz thread starter macrumors member

I was in the Mac store in Irvine today and it took all my strength not to buy one. The employees are very quiet about what is next to be release but when i asked I could tell they knew something for sure. He just smiled and told me "if you don't NEED it today then wait."

17. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Its a nice thought but i doubt it very much that apple employees would be told about new products to be released, and if they were, it would be all over the internet. They probably know just as much as we do, nothing!

18. fullmetal166 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately

The theory is true but the technology is not yet available. Flash chips have only gone up to 16GB. 32 has not yet been made (by a notable company), and even if it has, it would not be good business to release an iPod Touch with Remarkable storage because then no one at all would see the need to buy and iPod Classic. We will just have to be patient unfortunately.

19. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

if they come out with a new touch, it'll probably just be one with more space. highly doubt there going to make a whole new redesigned one, when the iphone and ipod touch just came out.

20. bloodycape macrumors 65816

That not true Sansdisk sells many off number flash products like the 12gb cf card 6gb audio player and 6gb microSD or was it miniSD slot(Samsung I thik also has some). Then again there is a 1gb devices. So... just saying 24gb could be possible and be nice.

As state before on this site Creative is using two 16gb flash chips in their 32gb Zen. And I doubt it would take away sales from the classic as it two different products. If one wants a large capacity player the classic is still the one in the iPod line up. 32 gb for some is still not large enough. Some need at least 50gb or more.

21. Superperson macrumors newbie

It'd be a huge slap in the face to anyone who just bought one, I'll tell you that. It'd be decent to at least wait until September to update...but then again who knows what :apple: will do.

22. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Ahhhhhhhh-haaaaaaaaa

Saviour of the Universe!!! :D

Seriously though, I see an SDK coming out in January for touch, possibly a new radio remote (Yays!) and some sort of small folding computer....
    Something about sub...
    It slips my mind now, we haven't heard rumors about it for so long :p