New iPod touch user problems with Wi-Fi (surprise surprise)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jayzz, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Jayzz macrumors newbie

Maybe i assumed wrong, but i thought I could buy an iPod Touch and simply select one of the detected wi-fi connections and away I go, but doesn't seem to be working like that. :mad:

Basically my iPod Touch detects 4-5 different networks (all but one of those has no padlock). I have tried the one with no padlock SpeedTouch or something like that and it doesn't work. I also tried all the others, but i don't yet understand the password stuff.

When I try to connect it loads a page saying "Your DSL connection is down. Verify your SpeedTouch is correctly connected to your DSL line"

I don't even have a DSL as far as i know.

So how the heck can I simply get internet connection up and running?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you have no wireless network and don't know the password to a wireless network, you will not be able to connect. The SpeedTouch access point sounds like a garbage connection.

3. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

How does one find out passwords for these different networks?

Wouldn't no if SpeedTouch is a garbage connection, but is is the only one without a padlock therefor requiring no password and it shows the highest reception bars.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to own the network or know who owns it in order to obtain the password. Just because your iPod touch supports WiFi doesn't mean you automatically get to connect to whatever network you want.

5. alm99 macrumors 6502

Why don't you roll down to the local coffee shop where in most cases the wifi is unsecured and offered to those patrons instead of trying to steal someone else's connection.

6. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Steal? Woh, i have really under estimated how easy this would/should be.

Forgetting about that - So would I need to go to my local coffee shop each and every time I want to get internet connection on my iPod Touch?

8. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

Perhaps you should wait until the iPad comes out and purchase a 3G model with a monthly 3G plan. This might be your best option if you don't want to get a home network but want to surf the internet

9. eboakes macrumors newbie

eboakes

Touch Will Not Connect to Isolated WiFi Access Points

If you attempt to connect a Touch to an unlocked WiFi access point that is isolated (not actually connected to the internet) the Touch will not show the little WiFi icon in the upper left corner. This could be what's happening to you. There's no way of telling if a visible WiFi access point is actually connected to the internet, other than that when you attempt to connect to it the Touch will not appear to allow you to connect, even when no WPA or WEP key is necessary. You can demonstrate this to yourself by powering up a WiFi router that is not connected to anything. Configure it with no WEP or WPA key. Use your Touch to view it and attempt to connect to it. The Touch will refuse to compete the connection. (This is my experience with a Linksys WRT54G ver 2 with firmware from 2005 and a 3rd gen Touch with 3.1.3.)

10. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi eboakes,

I don't actually have any router device. My macbook pro is connected to the internet via a usb modem/stick (mobile broadband)

11. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

RQPS,

I see your point and its a good one, except I already have a mobile plan. I initially wanted to get an iPhone for the purpose your suggesting, but did not want two separate plans to pay so decided to get an iPod touch since it does 80% of what I need (everything but make calls) and is FREE.

My plan is/was to use the iPod until my current mobile plan ends and then buy an iphone 3G (plu the new one should be out by then)

12. emvath macrumors regular

The way to "own" a wireless network for most people is that they have DSL / Cable / Other broadband line coming into their homes. You'd then plug that line into a wireless router and set up your own little personal wireless network. Ideally you'd put a password on it so others who may be in range to pick up your network can't use it. So when you see other networks on you ipod, you are most likely seeing your neighbors personal networks.

There are many reasons why you don't want other people to be able to use your personal wireless, mostly due to the fact that if they do something illegal online, the records will show it came from your network.

Since it sounds like you don't have a broadband line coming into your home, it sounds like your next options would be to:

1. Go to a free hotspot (coffee shops, libraries, schools, McDonalds, etc.)
    2. Convince a neighbor to let you hop on their network (they'd need to give you a password).
    3. Some cities have wireless broadband "broadcast" through out town. If so you could sign up for an account with that.
    4. Purchase an ipad/iphone instead of the touch that has 3g. That will basically give you wireless over a cellular phone signal.
    5. I'm sure someone here could tell you how to configure your usb modem to work with your ipod. Anyone?

13. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Since you have mobile broadband on your MBP you should be able to share that connection using the built-in airport (effectively turning your MBP into a wireless router).

I found these instructions on another post:

14. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

emvath and LinuXtreme, thank you so much for that clear advice. I have about twenty things going on around me at the moment, but will be looking into those options asap. Thanks.

15. emvath macrumors regular

See, I told you someone would know how to do it. :)

16. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah lost my reply!

Anyway in summary.

emvath:

i'm going to try speak to some local neighbours to get on their network(s) - I figure a single wi-fi connection isn't 100% reliable so having an extra network or two on the ready is a good thing.

RE your option 3: I google searched "wireless broadband broadcast" but didn't come up with anything. I'm in London so theres a fair chance this is in my city. What shall i search for exactly to get more info on this?

LinuXtreme:

Turning my MBP into a wireless router sounds like the perfect solution. i managed to follow those instructions and got my own connection up and running (double checked by searching networks on my ipod touch and what do you know, there i was) but is there anyway i can make this safe (safe being my main concern here)? i don't understand all this sharing malarky at the moment and don't feel confident just putting my connection out there. Anything i can do about that?

17. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

You can change the WPA (A wifi security standard) settings by going to system prefs and selecting sharing. Click on internet sharing and then Airport Options. You can set a password by filling in the fields that pop up. Make a strong password and set the encryption to 128 bit. I hope that helps...

18. frank.deale macrumors regular

Go to the iTunes app store and get the WifiTrak app. It will identify wifi sources that you can choose from if any are available. Then go into a few public libraries. They usually have free wifi.

19. mannix87 macrumors 6502

I had a similar experience & i thought that my ipod had problems until I realized that some hotspots (even the so called free or unsecured ones) still require a password. a password that you can get from the proprietor of the hotspot or from a telco that is running the hotspot/wireless broadband service (usually in the latter case, you log in using your mobile phone number if the telco is an affiliate of your mobile phone service provider)

unfortunately, the iPod touch takes some time before the user is prompted about or redirected to this log in procedure and in most cases, the user goes to Safari or some other app right away & tries to connect to the internet, not realizing that you need to log in first. & when you skip this part, naturally, you wont be able to connect to the wifi service & get online.

20. Erlang macrumors member

Unfortunately since OS3.1 this (adhoc) wifi thru a laptop will not work (someone prove me wrong please)

I get my Touch online by using a 3G mobile WiFi Access Point, in my case a Huawei E5830

21. Jayzz thread starter macrumors newbie

All I can say is that those instructions worked for me. Give it a go and see.