New iPod Touch???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ewulls01, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ewulls01 macrumors newbie

So for those of us who can't get the iPhone (affordability, restriction to at&t, you work for another cell phone carrier, etc...) when should I buy an iPod Touch? I want one now for 2.0 (doesn't look I should hurry based on that :) ) but I'm kind of excited to see what they do for the next revision.

Any good speculation yet on what the next rev will have? I'm really crossing my fingers for mobile wimax but that's just a personal dream of mine....

Anyone??

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

We dont know as of right now. the ipod could see some changes design wise after september, but thats a small possibility. Dont expect much to change with the touch when the iphone is apple main concern right now.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I agree w. tMac85. I'm locked into Verizon and would love a touch w. updated software and other niceties.

4. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Like most iPod models every year, around September may see an upgrade.

Don't expect anything dramatic, though. Probably 8GB removed, 16GB at 8GB price, and 64GB added. Besides, you can buy 16GBs on eBay currently for 8GB prices (new, that is) due to low demand for the iPod Touch and much higher demand for the iPhone.

-mikey

5. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Yeah, i doubt apple will upgrade any of the iPods until after Sept. 15th. The Back-to-School promo is selling iPods fast enough, but I'm sure they'll have a new more iPhone 3G-esque iPod Touch by years end!

6. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I'm hoping they will lower the prices and add something like bluetooth, camera or microphone or even all three. I don't really expect them to increase the capacity for a while though.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you buy a touch now it comes with 2.0...

8. Tragedies macrumors 6502

They wont add camera or microphone, that would make it too much like the iPhone.

Apple's strategy is for people to buy n iPod Touch, see how it's like the iPhone but missing the 'best part' and then upgrade. Atleast that's what I think.

September 15th seems like a good bet. Every September iPods are usually updated.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or their strategy is to see that people will see how great the iPhone, but don't want the commitment to a plan, so they buy a touch.

And I don't see them updating the touch to anything considering the new iPod looks almost the same like the old one except a few more features and the new back. For the touch I doubt they would release one with a plastic back. That would be cheap and horrible! How would I check the spinach stuck between my teeth if they did that?

10. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Your theory seems to make a bit more sense.

Anyway, I'm buying an iPod Touch and planning ti buy it late August, but I'll wait a bit for mid September, to see if there is a memory upgrade.

11. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

You are indeed correct. Steve Jobs openly admitted this.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=206035

First link I found when googling the quote.

It seems I'm not the only one who was taken aback by it (and I don't even own an iPod Touch... yet)

Personally, I would like to see a Camera, Microphone and GPS added to the Touch... But Apple would never do that.

A lot of Apps are going to be making use of the GPS, Camera and Microphone in the iPhone, and iPod Touch owners won't be able to use those features or apps; you can't even use a third party peripheral to add those features, since Apple locked all access to the dock connector except for iTunes syncing and charging purposes.

Honestly, the only one of the three that I listed that I could even possibly imagine Apple putting in is GPS, and even that's unlikely. Your best bet is going for a second-hand 1st Gen iPhone from eBay and unlocking it, and using that as an iPod instead. More features, better app compatibility and a faster processor. It's quite sad, really, that an unlocked iPhone makes a better (and most likely cheaper) iPod Touch than the iPod Touch.

12. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Currently the iPod Touch is rather cheap on auction/selling siets such as ebay, due to the high demand of the iPhoen upgrade and the school deal promotion currently going on.

I'd have to agree with buying a 1ST gen iPhone instead, however I'm going to buy a new 32GB iPod Touch for the same price as an 8GB unlocked 1st gen iPhone, mainly because i have a perfectly good phone now but sitll want the main features of the iPhone..without the phone.

13. dino0829 macrumors member

Really?

Is that true? Anybody? It sure doesn't sound like it on Apple's site, at least as of today. I'm ready to get one with the back to school, but thought I'd wait until Tuesday in the verrrrry slight chance of an upgrade.
    So if I buy an iTouch today, it comes with 2.0?

14. superman193 macrumors regular

No its not.