New iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmgilman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jmgilman macrumors newbie

So I'm thinking of buying an iPod touch, but according to the Macrumors' Buyer's Guide, they're due for an update soon. However, with the recent major software update, I have a question: Is a hardware update soon around the corner as well? Should I wait to buy as the Guide says, or is the Guide's computation wrong as Apple may consider the new software as a product update good enough for another cycle of the product?

What do you all think? Wait and see if they do update soon, or buy one now? I'm not in a tremendous rush but would like to get one before classes start for me in September. If anyone has heard of any rumours of possible updates, I'd love to know.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Generally speaking, hardware updates are completely independent of software updates, and this is reflected in the buyer's guide. However, it's hard to know if Apple plans on making any hardware changes to the iPod touch, and if so, what those changes would be.

My guess is that they probably will not update the iPod touch within the next 6 months, but I could easily be wrong about that.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Join the club.

I am holding off untill the September/October iPod event that happens every year.

I am also guessing that there will be either a minor refresh or a price drop.

4. Tragedies macrumors 6502

8GB removed, 16GB at 8GB price, and maybe the back will change, but don't expect much.

5. OffBrand macrumors member

I'd wait in case any possible upgrades make it worth my while.

6. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Returning iPhone - awaiting iPod Touch...

My 14 days to cancel my iPhone contract will be up by this Friday so I'm gonna need to return it before then. I'm hoping for an iPod Touch update ASAP!!!

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I was in a similar pickle in April, when I began considering a Touch. After a while, though I just decided to take a risk and make the plunge. And you know what? If they came out with a bran new Touch tomorrow, I wouldn't be a bit mad. Because I'm really happy with the device.

8. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I've been seriously tempted but I'm not gonna pay £269 for the 16GB now. If I could get it much cheaper I would shell out now but personally, I don't think the current cost is justified.