Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Battery? Unlikely without increasing the Touch's size. Bad thing to do as it would obsolete every Touch accessory out there.

You are incorrect on the one aspect of this (I consider) outlandish post where you pretty much have converted the iPod touch into an iPhone. While Bluetooth maybe a possibility, BATTERY LIFE is easily feasible and Flash storage increases will come soon. Maybe not September, that is if the touch is even updated.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
why will it? where is your proof it will?

There's no proof, but the Touch is following the "iPhone without the phone" very closely so I wouldn't be surprised. Imagine Apple selling an iPod with Wifi, GPS, 16-64GB, and all starting at $199. That'll definitely grow the music player market, which is exactly what Apple wants. People are tired of the same old iPod Nano or Classic. The Touch is the future.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
There's no proof, but the Touch is following the "iPhone without the phone" very closely so I wouldn't be surprised. Imagine Apple selling an iPod with Wifi, GPS, 16-64GB, and all starting at $199.
The iPod touch has neither a camera or speakers.

I expect a capacity bump or a price drop in the upcoming update.

touch-wannabe

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Why not 3G data only capability?

I don't really want a phone -- but I would love the mobile wireless internet capability, GPS and other goodies in the new iPhone. Why not create a new touch which can gain access to AT&T or someone's elses 3G network (Verizon are you listening?) for data only?? After all, the marginal cost of adding another user to the network (particularly off peak) is close to $0 and it's an easy way for a carrier to pick up some added revenue.

I bet I'm not the only misanthrope out there who doesn't really want to talk to anyone very often but would love the kind of wireless access to data which the iPhone promises (I'm not sure it provides it yet!).

itsm3cmg

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
I think it would be cool if they added a stylus and still have it really only skin sensitive. Like that one stylus that was mentioned a while back.

Polish97

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
Slightly off topic,

Does Apple's non-involvement with full spectrum Bluetooth lead me to believe that WiFi will replace BT.

A small WiFi footprint could replace BT. Think of headsets and the such being wifi instead of BT.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
I think it would be cool if they added a stylus and still have it really only skin sensitive. Like that one stylus that was mentioned a while back.

One thing I've never felt was missing from my iPhone is a stylus. The only controls which are too small to press with fingers I've found have been on web-pages, where I can just double tap to zoom to the control anyway...

Polish97

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
The iPod started as a music player only.

Then evolved to music and video and games.

The iPod Touch, started as a media player with web surfing options.

Then it evolved into a multi-touch playground, productive and playful.

2709762416_b28fd3cf4a.jpg

The next iPod Touch will be larger by 1.5x the style will not change allowing a continuity between the old and the new.

480 x 320 made to 720 x 480

The larger version of the touch screen will still use the older apps from the app store with a lower resolution on the larger screen.

The larger screen is mainly for web browsing. with the larger screen reading on the device will be much easier.

Upgrades include:
- 720 x 480 screen
- Larger battery for longer usage.
- 32gb or 64gb memory
- bluetooth
- IR remote sensor (why not)

This is my hope and dream for the next iPod Touch.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Who'd want to carry that though? It's not practical. My Touch currently fits in my pocket just right, and I can't imagine people wanting to carry something even 50% larger.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Who'd want to carry that though? It's not practical. My Touch currently fits in my pocket just right, and I can't imagine people wanting to carry something even 50% larger.

I'd second that. I'd rather have my iPod in my pocket and carry an apple equivalent of the really small laptops like the HP mini note and EeePC in my bag. A device of the size you mention might fit into my combat pocket but I'd be too concerned about it getting smashed in!

Polish97

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
I hear what your saying a large screen won't fit in you pocket but how often would you be using this just walk around? It's taking a step closer to the star trek pad that is carried.

I tend to carry my iPod or have it on my desk so I can skip songs quickly. This would easily fit in your hand and weigh less than half a pound.

Seems like a fair tradeoff. Pocket for screen size, but that's just me...

Phakebrill...Does anarchy rulez?

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
Alright, I've heard a lot of "Wants" from Apple for the Touch, and I can perhaps see many of them happening, no matter how ridiculous they are, and how slight the chances are (I want many of them, too :p),

I have to say, though, what's with all the asking for 3G support? Of all the wants for the iPod Touch, that has to be the least likely addition in the future. Agree? Disagree?

Polish97

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
I have to say, though, what's with all the asking for 3G support? Of all the wants for the iPod Touch, that has to be the least likely addition in the future. Agree? Disagree?

I agree completely. I thought the 3G network is only available to paying customers of the ATT/T-Mobile/GSM network.

It would change the entire internals of the device to add a sim card to be able to use the network.

Pipe dreams of some. An iPhone with only a data plan, I thought that was only available to the Deaf community. (And they would rather have a better keyboard.)

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
The iPod started as a music player only.

Then evolved to music and video and games.

The iPod Touch, started as a media player with web surfing options.

Then it evolved into a multi-touch playground, productive and playful.

2709762416_b28fd3cf4a.jpg

The next iPod Touch will be larger by 1.5x the style will not change allowing a continuity between the old and the new.

480 x 320 made to 720 x 480

The larger version of the touch screen will still use the older apps from the app store with a lower resolution on the larger screen.

The larger screen is mainly for web browsing. with the larger screen reading on the device will be much easier.

Upgrades include:
- 720 x 480 screen
- Larger battery for longer usage.
- 32gb or 64gb memory
- bluetooth
- IR remote sensor (why not)

This is my hope and dream for the next iPod Touch.

Maybe as another device, but this would never replace the Touch. As it has been said, simply because of the size. However, if it were hailed as another device, with movies and web as the focus, perhaps!

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I don't think 3G specifically is what we want. With so many apps relying on a web connection for data, what the Touch needs is ANY form of "everywhere" internet connection.

I think it could be done for free (no monthly fee). The Kindle (ebook reader from Amazon) has built-in cell phone data/internet access for no monthly charge. It is "payed for" by Amazon with the profits from ebooks users pay for and download directly. They borrowed the idea from Apple's iTunes app that allows Touch or iPhone owners to download music directly. Their model seems to be working. For what it's worth, I can also browse the web on my wife's Kindle, no matter where I am.

Athough a growing percentage of the world is gaining wifi access to the internet, there is still a majority of the possible market out there that wouldn't know how to connect their Touch to wifi if they had it in their own home. Stick ubiquitous internet on the Touch and free it from wifi, and Apple's profits from each one will soar. 30% from each app, and whatever the profit from each song is should be enough to oversee the connection cost.

How do I know this? My wife has a Kindle, and has already bought more than $300 worth of ebooks for it. It is easy. Amazon is making enough money they even lowered the price of new Kindles. I was just at a family reunion. I met 4 other relatives that had Touches. Not a single one was aware there was a 2.0 update, Apps they could download, or that it would connect to wifi. They had never used safari and didn't even understand why it was there. Yet every one of them had wifi routers in their homes. These were highly educated adults, from college age to 50. I also met 3 relatives with iPhones. They all knew about 2.0, the 3G iPhone, Apps, and were regular safari users. Why? Because the network connection on the iPhone is ubiquitous and easy.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Yes. 30% is what Apple gets out of the price paid for any app. It covers their credit card fees, hosting the app and providing access, and of course profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.