New iPod Touches?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thericwu, Oct 3, 2007.

1. thericwu macrumors newbie

Who thinks new iPod Touches will come out next fall w/ more memory? (16/32)

Moreover, what new features will the next Touch have, as I seem to VERY disappointed with the current lack of memory.

Big picture: should I wait until next fall to get the touch or get it now?
    I don't plan on spending 400 bucks on an iPod.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It will depend on how fast flash prices fall, if Apple can make a profit selling 32GB iTouches at the same price by then we will see them, otherwise it will be whenever prices fall enough.

3. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Next year it's very possible that new versions will be out with more memory, possibly new features as well. The thing about flash-based memory is that it's so expensive right now, compared to hard drive based memory the Classic uses. If you can wait, then wait, but if memory is a priority, I'd go with the classic right now because you might be waiting longer than you think.

4. thericwu thread starter macrumors newbie

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Flash? Not quickly. A factory outage in Korea caused a drop in production, and Apple already purchases 20% of the world supply (!).

As a reference, a GB of flash storage runs about 32x as much as a GB of regular old platter HD storage.

It ain't cheap.

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I personally prefered new features to more storage.

Come on, Apple. We need the possibility to edit calendar events, E-mail or at least a decent notes application on the iPod touch.

7. pushateg7 macrumors member

I concur, I'm fine with my 16GB......but new/current iphone only apps would be awesome!

i love my baby *petting the ipod touch sitting on my work desk*

8. Dijo John macrumors member

If you are gonna wait to buy something in technology, you are not gonna buy anything.

They keep on changing & getting better. If a better touch comes out in January then an even better one will come out in September 2008.

9. PurpleShaman macrumors member

flash prices are prob goin to stay the same or possibly even go up due to its shortage. i woud say that if ur happy with ur current portable mp3 player, stick with it....but if u really want all the sweet features of the ipod touch, get it now....god my w39 is simply a gem, now i can pretty much stop goin back to my dorm and do all my research and stuff with it in the school building! hope that helps

10. 864646 macrumors regular

will the possible new features in future IpoT's be available in a software update or only available in the new ones???

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We will not know that until new ones are released, but it is possible.

12. thericwu thread starter macrumors newbie

But I guess Jobs is gonna put out a new bug to let you edit stuff in the Touch.

13. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

It will be interesting to see the new release schedule from Apple with the iphone now in the mix. Will the iphone update in January (when it was announced), June (when it was released), or some other month entirely? While the ipod touch is in reality more like the iphone, they will probably want to release it with the new ipods. However, giving the iphone a two month head start on hardware features wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to try to gain iphone customers.

I think that the bigger questions relate to the hardware and software upgrades to the touch, and whether software upgrades are backward compatible.

Hardware: Obviously they'll have to upgrade hardware to sell future models. For the short run (i.e. next update), there seems to be a considerable chance of a 5.5g-like upgrade that doubles the memory (16/32gb) and hopefully increases battery life. That would most likely have to be done through components that use more power rather than a more powerful battery (or larger, unless they free up space elsewhere) as battery-technology isn't advancing at a doubling pace per year or two as are processors and memory.

Hopefully, though, we'll soon see (within one year) upgrades that are much like upgrading a computer with a faster processor, better screen (either more pixels or stretched to the entire body for true widescreen), better Wi-Fi module, better sound quality. Primarily, since there is no need for extras such as CD drives or many ports, increased processing speed (coupled with software) to allow for true full-internet capabilities (like flash) and more computer-esque programs like word (or world, if you like strategy games) processing.

Software: This is where the touch can really shine. Not only with third party apps (please???) but finding out how to make the interface of the ipod touch include more computer functionality (and PDA and cell phone). Software is the only thing holding the ipod touch back from doing nearly everything that any PDA can do (if you consider data networks to be the fair ground of the iphone) and a good deal of computer activity. Some things, like wireless synching, could be added relatively easily (one imagines).

No one's expecting to be playing Half Life 2 (or Halo, but that one's a given) or Starcraft 2 on the touch, and while it might be cool to try out World of Warcraft (etc.), people will want a true experience. The same goes for photo or video editing (although one could see a very basic editing program coupled with a way to import pictures directly. Wouldn't it be great to import, edit, and sort our your pictures on the plane home so you have a slideshow made before your trip even has ended and you don't have to lug a laptop around?) or other processes that make heavy use of a large screen, a mouse, or a keyboard.

But, one could always add those hardware devices. A small foldable keyboard (imagine the new Apple keyboard but more portable, not great but workable) would make for a great on-the-go document editor, not to mention email-writer or forum poster (I could be using my touch for this long post instead of my laptop). A mouse might not be needed unless one was doing precision work (in which case, a computer screen would be preferable), but being able to plug in your ipod into a TV and pull out a keyboard would make a truly portable PC, as well as a wonderful slideshow presentation (think, they could sell a device that you plugged in and wirelessly streamed the presentation, leaving the ipod as a remote+.

The problem with software updates is that they won't generate money for Apple. One could see them sold (as has been suggested on this board) individually for a few dollars on iTunes, which they could probably get away with, but not including them on the old ipod touches would create an outcry from first-generation owners who don't need a new one yet (it would be like iphone-gate and calendar-gate put together). While it's understandable how old standard ipods can't do coverflow because of hardware requirements, and perhaps they'll build future software so that some features such as internet-flash won't work without the new ipods processor, Software has to be used to entice people to the ipod touch, not to encourage upgrades from 1st generation touches.

Then, of course, there are curveballs. Perhaps they'll finally kill off the classic and make it touchscreen with a hard drive and a flash memory buffer. Maybe they'll open up the ipod to 3rd party developers, or maybe they'll fight them on the touch as they have on the iPhone. I wouldn't bet on any of these yet, but they could steer Apple's future decisions.

Bottom Line: The ipod Touch may well be the best music player ever (minus the storage size and stripped iphone functionality), but that's because Apple's made the best and by far smallest Ultra Ultra-Mobile-PC (UMPC). As a computer, the horizon is endless (companies have already built foldable screens) and hopefully Apple will use that.

P.S. It's also interesting to not that there isn't a whole lot more space for the ipod classic to go. Its got more storage space than most laptops, battery that can last for days, a nearly-perfect simple music browsing interface, and a nice screen. What can they do (wireless synching?, photo zooming, etc.) with the simple interface, and if they upgrade it, it becomes a touch (although Microsoft has found a middle-ground with the new Zune touchpad, but Zune's suck and one should either use a great-but-simple wheel interface or a full touch display.)

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Good synopsis. I think that for the forseeable future the iPhone will take the lead with features which will trickle down to the iPod line six months to a year later (if at all).

Apple makes much more on iPhone sales due to their percentage of contract residuals, ringtones, etc, so it makes sense that this is the new flagship product.

It doesn't mean though that we won't see some custom/special apps for iPod to try to differentiate it over time and get people to buy one of each. This also probably means that iPod will always lead iPhone in the capacity department.

15. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Hmmm, when I tucked, urm... I mean plugged in my ipod for the night, I had an interesting thought.

Millions of ipods just sleeping there, think of all of that distributed computing power for projects such as SETI or protein folding.

Although I guess it would be better to start with the much more powerful standard computer (if you have a PS3, its basically a supercomputer, so hopefully we'll see it put to that use), but it just shows how the ipod touch is really a computer.

16. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I reckon MacWorld '08, or WWDC '08, at the latest we'll see a 32Gb touch.

It's only a matter of time:rolleyes:

and i'm perfectly happy with my 16Gb

i haven't actually had a chance to watch movies with it yet, although the wifi has been quite useful

but i think this thread will never conclude as those who haves touches want new features, those waiting for touches want bigger ones (i made it sound as risque as i could)

17. andrewag macrumors 6502

Far out, the product only just came out and you're waiting for the next revision already?!!!! :confused:

18. jferg macrumors newbie