New iPod, weird battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by b00ya, Nov 1, 2010.

1. b00ya macrumors member

I just got a new iPod yesterday and the battery did something I've never seen on either of my iPhones. I put it in to charge and when I took it out it said 100% .. 1min later I looked down and it said 98% .. was kinda strange to be at 98 already but I ignored it. 2min later it said 95% .. 30 seconds later it said 96% .. 2 min later it said 94% .. a minute after that it was at 95% ... And so on. The battery was dropping much faster than normal and then raising itself back up 1% various times, which I've never even seen once before on my other iDevices.

Whats up with this thing?

2. b00ya thread starter macrumors member

Just did my 2nd full charge, unplugged it and went outside to get something from my car and it's already at 97% when I came back.

Lol, I guess I should take it back?

3. 0wnage macrumors member

Drain it all the way to 10% and then completely recharge it.

4. b00ya thread starter macrumors member

That's what I did.

5. Angel baby macrumors member

Angel baby

I'm suffering the same problem. So i left it plug to USB port to charge everyday. Otherwise, the battery must be ran out of power when i want to use the device.

But, it may cause damage to the battery's life. :confused:

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

If wifi is on, turn it off and that should solve your draining battery. Wifi really sucks a lot of power.

7. EugenexYew macrumors regular

EugenexYew

How was the iPod able to show the percentage in the first place?
    Unless it was jailbroken of course.

8. b00ya thread starter macrumors member

It was jb.

I'm going to bring it back for a new one tonight. I was playing a game on it last night and went to bed when it was at 45% and it's completely dead this morning. Wifi was off.

9. ZuperBlahq macrumors newbie

It is normal to have this problem. In fact it really isn't really one at all. Thing is, your battery percentage changes according to how much time you have left on your ipod/iphone. E.g. when you have wifi/3g on with high brightness and multiple apps running, the percentage reflected will decrease. Simply turning off battery draining features/processes will increase the percentage shown. Remember that the ipod is constantly recalibrating the percentage, so it might waver by no more than a few %. Older ipods are made to run on around 80% of their original battery span but since yours is new the fast drop in battery might be due to inaccurate relays.

10. b00ya thread starter macrumors member

Thnx for the response:) Did you read the rest of the thread though? It died from almost half battery over night with nothing on.

Also if what you say is true how come I have not noticed that once in 3+ years of iPhone use, But within 1 day of using this iPod I have noticed strange battery decreases/increases over 10 times.. I assume if this is something new that I would have noticed this on my iPhone 4 aswell but never have.

Ah well, may aswell just exchange for a new one .. just annoying since I've gotten a lot of my stuff on it already =(

11. ZuperBlahq macrumors newbie

Welcome. And no I didn't read the rest of the thread. Sorry. Now that I have though, I guess it might be a hardware fault. You should totally get it swapped for a new one. :) I would if I were you.

12. b00ya thread starter macrumors member

Thank you and everyone else. Will return it tonight.

And sorry about posting this in the iPhone section, I didn't notice until after that the iPod section is seperate. I thought all 3 sections were combined into one.

Take care!