New iPods on the iPhone keynote Oct 4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rgarjr, Sep 27, 2011.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Do you guys think they're going to intro the new lineup along with the new phone next week?

2. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

3. iSimpsons macrumors regular

Not sure about the other iPod's but I do believe that the iPod touch will get a minor update. What I would really like is Apple to get rid of that hideous chrome back and improve the camera - but I guess that isn't minor...

I do expect at least a white model from Apple.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

5. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

I expect new ipods to be released during this event and hopefully iOS 5 too :D

6. WLS macrumors 65816

At this point it doesn't sound like there will be much to enjoy for iPod users. Changes are expected to be minimal. At least we know the date for sure - Oct 4. Sounds like there will only be one phone too - what is called the 4S but that will of course be called the A5 and it will have an A5 chip in it.. You can hope but not too much. The olephobic thing for the screen and maybe a ram upgrade to 512 meg but on the A4. At least it is less than a week away now.

7. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

A4 chip I don't mind

512 MB RAM would be nice

Oleophobic screen with Retina display would be welcomed

IPS display would be quite stunning

but as long as the 5g touch has a better camera ( closer to 3GS and 4 quality) I am sold.

Anything else 16GB, IPS, Oleophobic, 512MB , A5 would be great add ons but it will not detract me from the 5g ipod touch.

8. mattg3 macrumors 6502

I fear our wait for upgrades has been a useless effort unless you want white ipod touch.

9. WLS, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPod shuffle should be axed. iPod nano is exactly like what iPod shuffle is, but it has a screen. Apple wants 100 dollars more for some reason...

Shuffle should leave and Classic should stay for another year or two. But, apple will kill it sooner than later.

11. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Once the ipod touch's storage capacity reaches 128GB+ I think they'll axe the classic.

12. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Classic should be discontinued before the shuffle.

Not everyone has huge music libraries ( I have 2GB) but many people work out at the gym or do cardio for many miles, much more people use the shuffle and its capacity is perfect for most people.

13. WLS, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

I get the impression Apple wants to move to all IOS mobile devices and if so that would explain why the Classic and Shuffle are out of favor. The Nano eventually will have a subset of IOS for Bluetooth. The Touch will have to move up in storage to replace the Classic so I would expect to see a 128GB Touch also.
    Probably not this year though..

14. WLS macrumors 65816

15. iEvolution, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

iEvolution macrumors 65816

Still don't like the all touch concept, it is literally a PITA to have to pull it out and look at the screen every time just to change songs. I have been wishing they'd add two seek buttons on each side of the home button since it has come out I don't understand why they can't do this. It'd make most classic users happy without sacrificing much from the device itself.

Even with the 128GB possibly coming it still doesn't hit the ones that would like more capacity than that. I mean music wise I approach 100GB by itself, if I throw movies on there I'll fill it up easily.

Seems like the days of being able to carry video/music/everything with you in a all in one device is not ever going to happen in local storage. Really sad because clouds aren't a replacement for local storage, its less secure (in theory), it costs extra bandwidth, and it also will have its issues with streaming smoothly I'm sure. I don't want to pay yearly fees for cloud access, I don't want to pay ridiculous prices for bandwidth with wireless carriers..I really hate where apple is going. I do not like to have to rely on other companies for access to my data.

I think the devices are far enough apart that they are in their own market even if their capacities were the same. Classic is far and beyond the better music player in speed (yes that is correct, iPod Touch turns to crap and lags through the music menu when you put anything over around 30GB in Music) and navigation.

Considering its the 2nd best selling iPod (Amazon, Bestbuy and Walmart), I don't think its time to get rid of it. I wish apple would through in that 220GB this year and keep it around.

I really don't know what people do to their classics to make them unreliable, I really don't. I've dropped my 120GB Classic a dozen times and it actually has a dent in the casing and it still runs fine and its 3 years old at the end of the year.

16. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I to think that we'll see a new iPod touch, which looks essentially like the current model but has the following changes:

1. White front in addition to black front now available.
    2. System RAM increased to 512 MB.
    3. Possibly faster A4 CPU/GPU.
    4. 32, 64 and 128 GB flash memory storage.
    5. (Maybe) upgraded back camera sensor with 2-3 megapixel resolution.

17. Johnnyboy711 macrumors member

I think they will come out with new Ipods on the 4th, the rumors floating around are that the iPod touch hasn't really changed in over a year, the only difference is that it's white. I find this rumor really hard to believe, we will find out Oct. 4th but I think they put in 3g connectivity, remember the picture that Apple uploaded to it's website with the 3g symbol? Why would Apple engineers make a picture with 3g connectivity if they weren't making a iTouch with 3g?

18. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I think so but we'll probably see only a minor update.

19. pchipchip macrumors regular

I think that they will release the new iPod Touch 5th Generation. I also think that iOS 5 and iCloud will be released to everyone. I would definitely buy if the new iPod Touch came out at the October 4th event.

20. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

Although some of us do have large libraries. I hope my Classic lasts until Apple releases a 128gb touch.

21. MonsterRain macrumors member

I wouldn't care at all if they bulked up the iTouch to where it looked just like the iPhone 4 or iPhone 3G. 128GB would be awesome, 256GB would be mind-blowing. Not getting my hopes up for that one though.

22. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

Heck Yeah!

Yes 100% sure. I am so getting the New iPod Touch!

23. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I just see minor edits to the current iPod touch. Nothing too major.
    It is a iPhone predominately event.

24. mattburles macrumors regular

i wouldnt be surprised if we see no iPod updates this year and they are delayed to 2012 :(