New(ish) to mac and smcfancontrol not wanting to work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liamscott, Mar 9, 2010.

1. liamscott macrumors newbie

My macbook gets so hot when i play some games on fb (even with it on a flat hard surface) that it shuts down. I can feel it and it's scalding hot at the bottom. I tried smcfancontrol as well as fancontrol. It shows them as open but it doesn't show a screen or anything as if it's not open. But like if i try to eject it it says it won't put it in trash or can't eject it as it's open. I have os 10.5 ty for any help. I bought this laptop about 8 or 9 months ago but only recently started using it often. I paid almost $2000/total just for the laptop. I want it to outlive me (okay not really) lol.

I couldn't find any discussion about this certain issue with fan controls. I hope that this was okay.

2. witness macrumors 6502

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Somehow I doubt Apple will accept a return of a system with no repair history...

I would suggest that you take in the system to an Apple retail or service location and let them know what's going on. They can run some diagnostics but you may just be expecting too much of your Mac when it comes to gaming.

4. pcman2000 macrumors newbie

SMC fancontrol

SMC Fan Control in in the menubar! (The icons on the top-right of your screen!)

SCREENSHOT: (Look at the RPM reading! on your menubar, you can click it!)

Attached Files:

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot