new ISP, need better wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by penguy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. penguy macrumors 6502

I just switched to xfinity from ATT U-verse...mainly because xfinity is about $50-60 cheaper per month and I went from a 6mb/s download to 25mb/s (actually 36 measured by speedtest)

Anyway, my u-verse 2-wire system had good range...all my wireless devices worked great...even my 2 mini's were running wireless with no hiccups. The provided router sucks by comparison, and won't reach the edges of the house.

I am considering a Time Capsule (2TB), airport extreme, or an airport express.
    What would you recommend and why? I have just finished installing hardwire CAT 6 cables to the major areas, so my desktop is now ethernet as is my AppleTV2 and xbox/ps3. It's mainly for the macbook and iPhones we have.

If I get the TC, I understand I can back up all computers to the TC...can I also store anything on the TC drive?

The express may do what I need to extend the network, but I haven't played around with one to see how effective it is.

In either case, where is the best location? i.e., would you place the TC near the ISP router? or would you use one of the hardwire lines to connect between the TC and the ISP router in a room further away in order to extend the reach?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep u can store files on the TC's hard drive. The modem and WiFi router are mostly within a few feet from each other, but u can have them apart and won't affect speed since its hard wired and running Gigabit speed. U want to have the WiFi router (time capsule) in the center of your home.

3. penguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks...essentially that's where the xfinity router is, but is only good for about a 1 room radius...anything beyond that and it drops off quickly.

Do you need to disable the wifi on the comcast router to minimize interference?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you use the Time Capsule as your WiFi router, then yeah u need to disable the router/wifi feature of that other device.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Not necessarily. You can disable DHCP on the Time Capsule to have it act as a wireless access point. The ISP provided modem/router will then do all of the routing functions and you can use the Time Capsule to either create an additional SSID or give it the same SSID password as the ISP modem/router to create a large roaming network.

To disable the DHCP on the Time Capsule, turn Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode) in AirPort Utility.