New Issue with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmusicman385, May 27, 2012.

1. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

Hi all. I tried searching all over the web for info on this, but can't find it.

It all started a few days ago. I turned my macbook pro on, and the grey screen came on, then quickly went black. the light in front indicated the macbook pro was asleep, but it refused to wake up. No button pressing worked. I'd turn it off and on and it would do the same. Eventually, on its own, it turned on, VERY slowly. So I restarted when it was finally done booting, and it was fine. Then today, mid movie (I street from iTunes to Apple TV), it went to sleep. So I push buttons and nothing. I turn off and on, and I get the same issue, grey screen briefly, then sleep. Eventually it turned itself on, slowly, but a lot faster than last time. Any idea what this is/how to fix it? I made an appt. with the Genius Bar, but it's a week away, and I would ilk my computer to work if possible.

Thanks all.

FYI I have a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS X Lion 10.7.3.

2. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Have you experienced any other issues that may reflect a drive issue i.e. stuttering of streaming local content movies/music? Any clicking from the hard drive or long boot or app load times?
    Sleeping by default writes a copy of the RAM contents to the hard drive - if this process is not working properly then it may mean a corrupt sleep image which could be causing this.

3. dmusicman385 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't had any other issues. I've noticed the boot up taking a little longer than usual, but I attributed that to the fact it's not brand new anymore. How would I get rid of that corrupt sleep image?

This seems to happen randomly, and not every day.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm not saying it is a corrupt sleep image but I have seen similar issues before with a Windows machine and it was stuck in trying to boot up or go to sleep and it was a problem with the hard drive and not writing the hibernation file. If there are no other hard drive issues then I would say it is unlikely to be this as you would no doubt be aware of other issues.

5. dmusicman385 thread starter macrumors regular

I just had it happen again when I turned it on, it went right into sleep before booting up. So I turned it off then on and same thing. Then I turned it off, and took out the other old macbook i had under it (it has been resting on top of my old one, as I am waiting to install my old one in my car). Could that have done it? I know a few times when I put my iPhone on the Macbook Pro in a certain spot it would go right to sleep till I moved it. magnet maybe?

6. pragmatous, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

pragmatous macrumors 65816

7. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Not heard of that behaviour before. If it works fine with the other Macbook away from it then you could be onto something although I wouldn't have thought it would be a magnet issue because that would also affect the other macbook.

8. dmusicman385 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

----------

I will ask them when I go in, see what I find out.