Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9hundred

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
When is the itrip for new ipod being released?

It has been a very very long wait!!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Same thing happened for the original iTrip. I have a tape/CD combo radio in my truck, so I just use a cassette adapter plugged into the remote. That works like a champ. Of course, if you do not have a tape deck in your car, that would be a problem.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
If you go their site or Apple's for that matter the shipping time is 2-3 weeks so just about the middle of October..

Does anyone know how well they work?

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
I have the iTrip for my 5g iPod and the sound quality is not as good as the cassette adapter. It's simply FM radio quality because that's where you are playing the music from - through the FM radio. I prefer my casette adapter anytime. So if the new ones are a copy of the old, I wouldn't recommend it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
5g...wow share, whats different. anyways itrips have been ready forever now, its just the uk have been screwin with them so they havemt been released.

iJon

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
They were originally scheduled to ship in the last week or so of July. Why not ship to countries other than the UK if the units are ready? Doesn't make any sense to hold up all your profits with already manufactured parts because ONE country is hassling you.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by macrat
I have the iTrip for my 5g iPod and the sound quality is not as good as the cassette adapter. It's simply FM radio quality because that's where you are playing the music from - through the FM radio. I prefer my casette adapter anytime. So if the new ones are a copy of the old, I wouldn't recommend it.

the itrip, along with any other FM modulator, is intended for people without factory tape decks that don't want to swap stereos. many cars come with CD only.

pnw

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Another option beyond a cassette adapter is an AUX jack on the radio. I see these more and more. If you have one, just use a standard 3.5mm stereo-to-stereo cable and plug in.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
I connected my ipod to my aux.
I mounted a dock in my ram rest so i can lift it up and dock the ipod. it then carries sound to the deck and i hardwired a charger to the dock so it charges also.

it keeps it completely out of site and i can also have the remote hanging out with nothing connected to it because i use the line out and not the headphone out.

had to take the care almost all apart but i was so worth it.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by tomf87
Another option beyond a cassette adapter is an AUX jack on the radio. I see these more and more. If you have one, just use a standard 3.5mm stereo-to-stereo cable and plug in.

I wish they would start providing these by default in rental cars. Most of the rental car companies (in my experience) seem to be switching from cassette-only to CD-only, and I've had to downgrade from cassette adapter to FM adapter whenever I take a vacation.

Let's get AUX plugs in all car stereos!!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.