New iTunes Home Sharing: just limited to Store purchases?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by motulist, Mar 2, 2011.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

They said you can now use iTunes Home sharing with iOS devices. Has anyone who's used Home Sharing before tell me if it lets you stream any media in your iTunes library, or just the media you bought through the iTunes store?

2. nosaj72 macrumors member

It lets you stream (and on a mac, copy) any music or video file from one itunes to another.

3. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

You can stream your entire iTunes library, not just iTunes store purchases.

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

SWEET! But I'll bet you that they're gonna make it so it only works with the current and previous generation iOS hardware, even though there's no technical reason to exclude older iOS hardware. I stream audio and video perfectly to my 2nd gen iPod touch using a home server setup I created myself.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a new OS feature; how exactly could they add that to previous OSes? If something is hardware restricted Apple has always mentioned it so in this case if your device can run 4.3 it can use this feature.

6. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

My 2nd gen ipod touch runs iOS 4.2 (the current iOS) but they have artificially restricted it so some features don't work on this device. For instance mobile Safari's page search feature isn't present on older iDevices, even though it's running the latest iOS. This feature is there on newer iDevices, but is not present on older iDevices that are running the same exact iOS version. Apple made it so these new features aren't there on older iDevices.

7. mystikpymp macrumors newbie

I really hope there is no restriction. Currently with the home sharing I am able to watch all videos and listen to any music via apple tv2. When I use my laptop with the home sharing I am able to listen to any music, but my videos are limited to itunes purchases.

8. Krandor macrumors 6502

Normally if a feature is restricted it is because the older hardware cannot handle it well. This doesn't seem like that kind of feature so I would expect it will work on any device that can run IOS 4.3

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Click the "Settings..." at the bottom of iTunes when displaying a connected home shared computer....if you want to use the "Automatically transfer new iTunes purchases" option, I think that is only for iTunes purchases, unfortunately.

But this is just for setting up automatic syncing. Everything else is fair game.