New iTunes Match setup proving to be REALLY slow!

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by logicstudiouser, May 5, 2017.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Background: I transferred my iTunes folder to an external hard drive because I have setup Sonos in the house and I want to have my entire library on a network drive and free up space on my iMac in the process.

Objective: For Sonos and my iMac workstation (where I import new music) to feed from the same source.

My solution: I connected the external hard drive to my airport extreme and I have my iMac connected via. ethernet directly to the airport extreme.
    Using the 'Option' key at launch of iTunes, I successfully re-traced the path of the iTunes library to my network drive and enabled iTunes Match with success.

The problem: Slow as f. When iTunes Match updates once a week, it takes almost an hour 'Gathering information about your iTunes Library' and downloading anything takes forever.

Why is it slow when I am directly connecting my computer and hard drive to the airport extreme? Is there a way for iTunes to connect with a network drive faster?

Sonos is working without issue, it works perfectly. My only issue is with iTunes

Thanks

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

iTunes always been a bit slow,especially iTunes Match. Takes some time to do the complete iTunes Store scan,I guess.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

The storage performance for connected drives on most routers is pretty poor, particularly so the Airport Extreme. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...pple-airport-extreme-80211ac-reviewed?start=1

It's quite possible this is the limitation you're running into. You might have to rethink your network configuration.