*New* iTunes Plus Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JelvisChan, Jan 9, 2009.

1. JelvisChan macrumors member

Okay, so I just redid my computer and I had some songs that I didn't back up.

I learned about the iTunes Plus Upgrade to get your songs back for $0.30, $0.60, etc.

I only want 3 songs, however.
    The total cost for me is $9.95, but I only want 3 songs back -- $0.90.
    Is there a way to only get the songs you want other than buying the WHOLE upgrade?

If not, do you think Apple will make it so that you can when they do their next upgrade?

Thanks for the help!

2. Macnator macrumors 6502

At the point, it is not possible to only upgrade certain songs. For now, it is an All or Nothing Upgrade. Kinda unfortunate for those that only want to upgrade certain songs. :mad:

As for making it possible to pick and choose, Apple may/may not allow it. I cannot say for certain.

But hey, $9.95 isn't that bad!! :D Some people are upwards of $500-$600 to upgrade their music! :eek:

3. quotemeas macrumors regular

Thank you for making your entire post BOLD. I would not have been able to read it otherwise. :D

4. JelvisChan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks -- it's just that I only have $8.00 in my account :(

5. ccfoodog macrumors member

Just buy those three songs again.

-john

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Current options available are:

A. Upgrade your whole library.

B. Purchase those three songs again.

Will Apple change it's policy in the future? Hard to say, but my guess will be that if they do, it will not be soon.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm at $207.27. Who in the crap does Apple think will do this?

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some of us have much smaller collections, so it is a no-brainer to do. For example, most of my collection is from ripping my personal CDs.

Others, like yourself, have this issue. Until the noise level raises to the point where Apple will pay attention, they probably will not offer an option other all or none. Hopefully, if enough folks provide feedback to Apple, they will come out with a selective upgrade option.

Suggest those who need the option of upgrading only certain songs, provide feedback.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's how I was a couple of years ago. But after buying most everything from iTunes since then, I have a crapload of DRM-infested music. I can get having to pay something to upgrade the music, but 30 cents/track or 30 percent of an album's cost is a darn ripoff once you get past 2 or 3 albums.

In a business sense, I'd contend that Apple would make 10 times more money if they allowed a la carte upgrades AND jacked the price down to maybe 5 cents/track. Then I can work on the option to upgrade SD video to HD. :)

10. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Mine is at $262 and I almost pulled the trigger on it. But, then I began to realize that maybe this is a good time to go through my library and get rid of stuff I don't listen to - and there is a ton of it. I have probably 15GB of just music I don't listen to. That should save a bundle.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If I were you, I'd back all those up on a CD or DVD before deleting. Seriously, what if the Macarena went back in style for another 15 minutes?

12. cazlar macrumors 6502

It might give you a smaller/more refined library, but won't save you any money on the iTunes Plus upgrade though. The list they offer you is based entirely on what you have purchased from iTunes (according to them) - not what is currently in your library at the time. This is also why people who've accidently deleted music can recover it by upgrading it.

13. JelvisChan thread starter macrumors member

This is all good stuff guys.

Lets wait and see what Apple comes up with!

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that its good to clean up your library.

In my case, I accidentally deleted a bunch of my iTunes library about a year ago. When I first imported my CDs, I imported every song. This time, I will only import those that I like. This should save a significant amount of space since usually, I only liked a couple songs on each CD. That's one reason that I really like the iTMS is that I can just purchase the song that I want and not a whole CD.

Most interesting.

Hopefully, Apple will allow selective upgrading of their music.