Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Hey guys,

I'm just curious if anyone else who's bought a ringtone off of iTunes changes the default 15 seconds. Before I start buying a couple of these, I want to make sure I have the right length. You can have it anywhere from 15-30 seconds, but what's the right choice to make here? :confused:

I'm really surprised no one else has asked this! :eek:

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Gonna be blunt: No one has asked because its up to you! You vary the clip length based on what "sounds" best. So if at a certain point you want it to loop you can choose so. Some songs you may want to have a longer loop or for it to end at a certain word, etc...

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Hmm... well thanks! :)

I guess I figured that the ringer should "end" where the phone stops ringing... Like if I don't answer the phone it plays through just once. Make sense? I guess that's not really the way to do it then. I need to change the way I'm thinking. :p

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
There are many "features" I wish the iPhone had that my other phones did. I had one where it ramped up the ring tone. With each play of the selected ring tone it would get louder and louder. Another one I had would ring once, then vibrate the rest of the time.

And FYI, if you make your own from a sound file, etc... it can be longer than 30 seconds. I use the OS X Panther into theme. It makes a GREAT ring tone since its unique, sounds a lot like a regular ring tone and has some high points in the music making it more audible.

Gibbons

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
i guess it depends then on how long your phone rings before it gets forwarded to voicemail. mine was set for 20 seconds but I extended it to 25 so i'd have a little more time to answer it. so now when i make ringtones i make them about 24 seconds so that the fade out doesn't get cut off.

Lee3

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
Something robust answer

Iphone ringtones are more tedious than Android ringtones to install. Bluntly, all Iphone extra stuff are more tedious than Android stuff. where in Android, you just need to drag files to the right folders and your done with any type file format. Iphones requires the use of iTunes in the majority of extra paraphernalia....40 seconds is the max, although, typically ringtones are made in 30 seconds of length.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
I make my ringtones for 30 secs long. But when I get called it will only ring for about 17 secs. Why is that and how can I change it?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Until today, this thread had not had any posts in 6 years! :eek:

How and why do you newbies dig this old stuff up? Things change in 6 years. :rolleyes: This thread was for the original iPhone (June 29, 2007.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.