New iTunes Security uses Absurd Criteria

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Clawless, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Clawless macrumors newbie

I just tried to download new music to my iTunes library. I have had an account for years. I was told there was new security and was asked about six stupid questions and my date of birth. I reluctantly answered everything because I wanted the music, but was then told I had to provide a second email address, too. I don't have one and protested to iTunes support. I was told this is a new requirement. I don't want an additional email address; especially not just to buy music. This is absurd criteria. I am forced to only use Amazon now for my downloads. They are going to lose customers over this!

2. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I can see how them forcing you to make a recovery email address is absurd, I mean it's your account and you should be trusted to decide what level of security you want.

But if they're not letting you, wouldn't it be wroth just using a friend/family member's email address for it, or even making a new gmail one?

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

When I was prompted to update my security info it was mandatory to do the security questions, but said the secondary email address was optional - I left it blank and it worked fine. Are you sure you had to provide it?